Household Enquiry Form 2018

Why have you sent me this form? 

Each year the Electoral Registration Officer has to contact every property in Coventry to check that the information held on the electoral register is correct. This has to be done even if nothing has changed. It is a legal requirement for the Electoral Registration Officer to do this. 

It's important that you respond as soon as possible, so we can make sure we have the right details on the electoral register for your property. It also means that we will not have to send you a reminder or visit your property.  

What do I need to do? 

The fastest and easiest way to reply is online. Alternatively, if the information is correct, you can use the freephone telephone line: 0800 197 9871 and enter your security code when prompted, or you could send a text message, again if the information is correct, by texting NOCHANGE to 80212 along with both parts of your security code. 

If there are changes needed to the form and you are unable to respond online then you can make the necessary changes on the form and send it back by post using the reply envelope. 

Do I need to reply? I did this last year.

  • A response is required from every property each year, even if there are no changes to the information.  
  • You should reply to the Form (HEF) even if your property is empty or a second home. 
  • You should reply even if you have voted recently and/or are registered to vote.
  • You should reply even if you are unable to register to vote due to nationality - as we need a response from every property. 

If we receive no reply to the HEF then reminders will be sent and this will ultimately be followed up by visits from our Canvass Staff. Ultimately you could be fined £1,000 for failure to reply.

The form does not register someone to vote it just provides us with information as to who should be registered, anyone who has recently moved into a property will also need to register to vote individually, this can be done online.  


I have received a Household Enquiry Form but it has the details of the previous occupiers on it, what do I do?

You can either go online deleting their details and adding your own or you can amend the form and post it back to us in the envelope provided. Please note that this does not register you to vote but this can be done here

I have received this form but nothing has changed, do I still need to return it? 

Yes, you need to respond even if the details printed on the form are correct. You can respond online, using the freephone telephone number on the form or by signing the form and returning it to us. 

No-one in the property is eligible to vote, do I still need to complete the form?

Yes, a response is required from every property. You can do this online or by returning the form . 

My child is 16 years old, do I need to add their details to the form?

Yes you do, this is to ensure we are able to register them for when they turn 18. 

I have received a pink card, why? 

You have not responded to the Household Enquiry Form that we posted to you. You are required by law to respond to the form. If you still have the form then the easiest way to respond is online. If you do not have the form then contact us on 024 7683 3034

I have received a blue card, why?

We have been told that you live at this property and you're not registered to vote. We have already sent a form that you have not responded to. We want to make sure you are registered to vote. You can complete registration online, send the registration form back to us, or call 024 7683 3034 and register over the phone. 

My son/daughter has gone away to university but will be coming home at the end of each term, where should they register to vote?

They can register at their home address as well as their university address but must not vote more than once in the same election. This means they can vote in local elections at both addresses as long as they are in different local government areas, but cannot vote at both addresses in a Parliamentary election. So we would recommend that you leave them on the register at your address. 

My partner has passed away and I need to remove their name from the register, how do I do this?

Please amend the details either online or by returning the form and we will update the records. 

I am a student, what do I do with the Household Form I have received?

Please respond to the form online or return the form. You can register to vote at both your term time and home address but can only vote once at an election. This means you can vote in local elections at both addresses as long as your homes are in different local government areas, but cannot vote at both addresses in a Parliamentary election

I've received the Household Enquiry Form but this is a second home, what should I do?

Please respond to the form either online or by post with no names included. 

What do you do with my information? I do not want it recording!

The legislation requires all households to respond to the Annual Canvass. All data collected is done so in line with data protection guidelines. It is held in a secure environment  and only provided to those organisations that the Electoral Registration Officer is required to supply. For more information please refer to our privacy notice.

Why are you threatening me with a fine if I do not respond to this form?

It is a legal requirement for all households to respond to the annual canvass and if you do not then you may be liable to a fine of up to £1,000. This information is included on the forms as required by the legislation. To date the Council has not chosen to fine residents for not responding to the canvass. If you do not respond to the form then you will receive reminders and if no response is received to the reminders then the Electoral Services team will make a personal visit to gain a response. 

Electoral Services

Opening hours: Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm (excluding bank holidays)


Tel: 024 7683 3034

Fax: 024 7683 3204

Council House
Earl Street

Is there anything wrong with this page?