Controlled or hazardous waste
Pages in Controlled or hazardous waste
- Clinical waste
Asbestos may be taken to the Household Recycling and Reuse Centre (the tip) for disposal.
Asbestos acceptance criteria
Only the following types of asbestos waste will be accepted:
- Corrugated / flat roofing sheets (maximum 6 sheets)
- Roofing tiles / slates (maximum 3 bags)
- Guttering / down pipes (maximum 3 bags)
- Bath / ceiling / ironing board panels (maximum 6 sheets)
- Storage heaters containing asbestos (maximum 3)
The asbestos container is able to accommodate sheets up to a maximum of 2 x 1 metres (approx. 6 x 3 ft).
Any other type of asbestos must be disposed of privately using a licensed asbestos waste contractor.
All asbestos should be:
- Double wrapped in plastic and sealed
- In manageable sizes, i.e. capable of being lifted into a skip by one person
- Any persons bringing asbestos to the Household Recycling and Reuse Centre (the tip) which is not adequately packaged will be asked to wrap it before being allowed to dispose of it. It is not permitted to break up asbestos waste on site.
- An appointment to dispose of any Asbestos waste should be made in advance through our online tip booking service or our Customer Services team. Failure to do so may result in the waste not being accepted on site.
- Only asbestos waste from Coventry residents' own properties will be accepted. If there is any doubt about the origin of the waste the person bringing it to the Household Recycling and Reuse Centre (the tip) will be asked to sign a waste disclaimer note.
To book an appointment you will need to supply the following information:
- Your name
- Your full address, including postcode
- Contact telephone number
- The vehicle registration number - please state if using a hired / borrowed vehicle
- Amount, type and origin of asbestos (e.g. garage roof)
You will be given a reference number which you will be required to quote upon arrival at the Household Recycling and Reuse Centre (the tip).
To book an appointment please use our online tip booking service or contact our Customer Services team.