Christ Church has a long history as one of the churches forming the three spires of Coventry. However following the destruction of the church in 1941 only the spire remains on the old site.
The original Christ Church was opened for worship in August 1832. It was built next to the surviving medieval tower of Greyfriars Church in New Union Street in the City Centre. In 1941 Christ Church was almost completely destroyed by bombing. The old tower remains standing as a witness to christian belief in both good and bad times. In March 1958 a new church building was opened for worship. The modern Christ Church lies a few miles away.
The Grade II listed Christ Church building was inspired by the Festival of Britain 1951 and features 22 stained glass by Belgian artist Pierre Fourmaintraux and sculptures by John Skelton.
No booking required
Tower access involves ascending ladder type steps.
Max 8 people per tour/session. Trips up the tower are guided and group size will be small. The trips will be run at regular intervals during the open hours. No need to pre book just turn up. Meet in the church entrance lobby.
The church is situated off Daventry Road (adjacent to the junction of Daventry Road and London Road) approximately 1.3 miles from the City Centre. Nearest bus services stopping on Daventry Road/ London Road are 21 and 360.