Built on the site of the Benedictine Priory of St Mary's, the priory tells the story of Coventry's first Cathedral founded in the 11th century by Lady Godiva and the Earl of Leofric.
Buried for centuries beneath redevelopment, this extraordinary area of cellars was part of the city's original Cathedral. Unearthed by Channel 4's Time Team in 2002, this is a wonderful glimpse in to Coventry's medieval past. The Priory was home to a community of monks for 500 years, until it was closed down on the orders of King Henry VIII. It was also the site of two English parliaments which were held here in 1404 and 1459.
The award-winning Visitors Centre contains rich finds from the excavation of the site. Tours are available around the Priory Undercroft: 12noon, 1pm and 2pm. Also the centre, cloisters and gardens will be open.
Meet in the Priory Visitors Centre
Call: 024 7655 2242
Max 20 people per tour/session. Contact for the day: Paul Curtis - 024 7655 2242
City Centre location.