Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:

Continue

Priory Undercroft & Visitors Centre - Heritage Open Days 2018

13 September 2018 - 16 September 2018 Every day
  • Location: Priory Visitor Centre, 6 Priory Row, Coventry CV1 5EX
  • Time: 11:00 - 15:30
  • Cost: FREE

Built on the site of the Benedictine Priory of St Mary's, the priory tells the story of Coventry's first Cathedral founded in the 11th century by Lady Godiva and the Earl of Leofric.

HOD

Buried for centuries beneath redevelopment, this extraordinary area of cellars was part of the city's original Cathedral. Unearthed by Channel 4's Time Team in 2002, this is a wonderful glimpse in to Coventry's medieval past. The Priory was home to a community of monks for 500 years, until it was closed down on the orders of King Henry VIII. It was also the site of two English parliaments which were held here in 1404 and 1459.
The award-winning Visitors Centre contains rich finds from the excavation of the site. Tours are available around the Priory Undercroft: 12noon, 1pm and 2pm. Also the centre, cloisters and gardens will be open.

Booking Details

Pre-booking: Preferred
Meet in the Priory Visitors Centre
Call: 024 7655 2242
Email: coventrypriory@gmail.com

Additional Information

Max 20 people per tour/session. Contact for the day: Paul Curtis - 024 7655 2242

www.coventrypriory@gmail.com

Directions

City Centre location.

Is there anything wrong with this page?