Renew or reserve an item
Pages in Renew or reserve an item
- Renew an item
- Reserve an item
Renew an item
You can renew any item you have on loan from us if the item is not required to satisfy another borrower's reservation. If you usually pay to hire CDs, DVDs or talking books, you will be charged hire fees on any subsequent renewals of these items which should be paid on return of the item.
Renew an item online
- Go to the online catalogue
- Select my account
- You will need your library card and PIN to log in to your account
Renew an item over the phone
- Call 024 7683 1999
- You will need your library card and PIN (and something to write with to write down the new due back date)
Renew an item in person
If you are renewing an item in person there are two types of renewal; you can either bring the item(s) with you to be renewed or ask us to renew the item(s) on your ticket.
- If you bring the item(s) with you we can take the item(s) off your ticket and re-issue them which resets the number of times you can renew the item(s).
- If you ask us to renew the item(s) on your ticket without presenting the item(s) we can only renew the item to the maximum renewals limit (which is twice). If you are attempting to renew the item for a third time, we will ask for the item to be returned to the library.
Renew an item in libraries with self-service kiosks
- Select account
- Scan your library card in the barcode reader or type in your library card number
- Select renew then either select individual items to renew or renew all
- Print your receipt to show the new return dates
Frequently asked questions
How many times can I renew my item(s)?
You can renew your items twice. If you were to renew your items on the day they are due back each time this would give you a maximum loan period of 12 weeks (for books and talking books), 3 weeks (for non-premium DVDs or CDs), or 6 nights (for premium DVDs). This "unseen renewal" limit counts if you renew online, over the phone, or at a self-service kiosk without the item being present.
Why can't I renew my item(s)?
If we cannot renew your items (or you cannot renew them on the online catalogue) that is either because you have renewed them the maximum number of times or the item is reserved by another borrower which in both cases means they need to be returned to the library.
What happens if I tried to renew my item(s) and the online catalogue wouldn’t let me so I bought my items back late?
You will be fined. Library staff only waive fines in exceptional circumstances.