Online resources and encyclopaedias
A range of high-quality online resources is provided for library members. Most are available from home by typing in your library card number and are also available on library computers or by our public Wi-Fi (at Central, Allesley Park, Bell Green, Foleshill and Willenhall libraries).
Available from anywhere:
- Atomic Training - Online ICT and technology training tool. Contains unlimited access to thousands of "how-to" video tutorials, covering more than 500 of today's most popular software products on both PCs and Macs. Includes training videos on Microsoft Office, Photoshop, iPads and Smartphones.
- Universal Skills - Online resource providing step-by-step guides covering areas such as basic computer skills, job skills, Universal Jobmatch and Universal Credit.
- Theory Test Pro - Online simulator for the UK 's driving theory test. Contains the official practice test question bank, hazard perception video clips and an online version of the Highway Code.
- GoCitizen - Online study resource for the Life in the UK Test or British citizenship test. Includes an online version of the latest official study materials plus hundreds of practice test questions in the same format as the official test
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Online - The world's best known reference work on art, history, geography, science and many other subjects. Includes Junior (Age 5 to 11), Student (Age 12 to 18) or Adult (Age 18+) versions
- UK Newsstand home login or library computer/wifi login - Online newspaper database including The Coventry Telegraph (from Mar 28, 2000 to present)
- Zinio online magazines - A wide selection of magazines to read online or download
- Oxford Reference Online - Language and subject reference works from Oxford University Press
- Oxford Art Online - Extensive and easily searchable online art resource including high quality images
- Oxford Music Online - Multiple music reference works in one location - contains more than 8,000 in-depth articles
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography - An illustrated collection of more than 50,000 biographies of people who have shaped Britain 's past
- Oxford English Dictionary - The definitive record of the English language. Contains present-day and historical definitions of words and three million quotations
- Who Next...? - An interactive online resource designed to encourage children and young people to read more widely, by suggesting authors they might enjoy.
- Who Else Writes Like...? - An online resource to help introduce book borrowers to authors whose work is unfamiliar to them. It is designed to answer the question "I've read all the books by this author, who else writes like that?”
On library computers/Wi-Fi only:
- Ancestrylibrary.com - Genealogy, Family Trees and Family History Records Online. Offers access to 870 million searchable UK family history records (logs in automatically).
- Access to Research - Free online access to a wide range of academic articles and research in Coventry libraries. Over 10 million academic articles are available. Subjects include art, architecture, business, engineering, history, languages, politics, philosophy, mathematics and the sciences (logs in automatically).
- The Times Digital Archive 1785-2009 - Online newspaper database containing more than 11m articles. Users can access 220 years of The Times newspaper. Key areas covered are science, technology, Geopolitics, War, tragedy, politics, sport, economics, business and culture (logs in automatically).