Healthy lifestyle courses
Coventry healthy walks volunteer walk leader course
- Outline the main benefits to be had from a programme of regular walking.
- Outline and lead a walking session.
- Recognise potential hazards.
- Understand the principles of route planning.
- Advise on practical issues such as intensity, frequency, posture and clothing.
- Be committed to your walk.
- Lead a mapped-out and risk-assessed walk with our help.
- Make each walk suitable for the ability of individuals within the walking group.
- To attend quarterly Volunteer Walk Leader meetings whenever possible.
- Make new people feel welcome.
- Inform people of any health messages.
- Tell us 48 hours in advance if you can't make the walk, if possible.
- Complete registers and new walker questionnaires and give them to us regularly.
EXTEND is based around light, dynamic movement to music, designed for men and women over 60 and for less able people of all ages. The main aim of Extend is to promote health, increase mobility, and make improvements in strength, co-ordination and balance. This helps to increase confidence, which helps against loneliness and isolation, giving greater independence and improving Quality of Life.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the effects of ageing related to the individual needs of people over 60 and less able of all ages.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of anatomy, physiology and kinesiology.
- Employ effective teaching skills appropriate to specific groups and individuals.
- Structure a session plan showing progression and development.
- Demonstrate use of appropriate music.
- Deliver activities that prevent falls and improve life quality.
- Encourage and help people to reach their maximum health and wellbeing.
- Communicate effectively.
- Maintain professional standards of care, health and safety.
- Evaluate the progress of individuals in classes.
- Evaluate your own progress as a teacher
- Recruit, organise and run classes in partnership with the City Council.
Apply for one of the courses, please fill in an application form and return back to us.