Coventry City Council enforces several standards that relate to food. These standards are controlled by Trading Standards and Environment Health who are both part of Regulatory Services.
Trading Standards aim to ensure that
- Food is correctly labelled and described and meets quality standards.
- Manufacturers and retailers of food are regularly inspected.
Further information can be obtained from the following websites.
- Food Standards Agency (FSA) - An independent food safety watchdog set up by an Act of Parliament in 2000 to protect the public's health and consumer interests in relation to food.
- Vist http://www.food.gov.uk/enforcement/alerts/ For the latest food alerts, including product withdrawal and recall information.
Environmental Health aim to ensure that
- Food businesses are registered.
- Restaurants and other food premises meet strict hygiene standards.
- Food is safe to eat.