Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)
Are you worried about the way that someone has acted when working with children? Working with children includes voluntary or paid employment.
- behaved in a way that has harmed a child;
- possibly committed a criminal offence against or related to a child;
- behaved towards a child or children in a way that indicates that he or she would pose a risk of harm if they work regularly or closely with children.
You have a responsibility to report the allegation or concern to the Local Authority Designated Officer on 024 7683 3443 or email LADO@coventry.gcsx.gov.uk.
If you believe that there is an immediate risk of harm to a child or young person contact the Police.
What is the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)?
The LADO works on behalf of Coventry City Council and the Coventry Safeguarding Children Board to address, advice and manage allegations and concerns against staff, carers and volunteers by addressing matters of safety and wellbeing of children and young people.
The LADO is involved from the initial phase of the allegation through to the conclusion of the case and will:
- be involved in the management and oversight of individual cases
- provide advice and guidance to employers and voluntary organisations
- liaise with the police and other agencies
- monitor the progress of cases to ensure that they are dealt with quickly and fairly