Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Free Early Education and Childcare for 2, 3 and 4 year olds

2 year old Funding Entitlement

Some 2 year olds in Coventry will be eligible to get an entitlement of up to 15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year - very similar to the three school terms.

This can be taken up with any Early Years provider such as a childminder, nursery or pre-school that is registered with both Ofsted and Coventry City Council to offer funded places. Not all early Years Providers do so you will need to check this with the provider you choose. The Coventry Family Information Service is a free website that contains information about Early Years providers in Coventry.

To qualify for a 2 year old funding voucher, you must be receiving one of the following UK benefits or universal credits:

Eligibility Route 1

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit and have an annual income not over £16,190
  • The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Working Tax Credits and earn £16,190 a year or less

Parents or carers with legal responsibility that do not meet any of the above criteria, should then check the list below to see if their child meets any of the following criteria. Some additional evidence will be required when applying as proof of eligibility;

Eligibility Route 2

  • is looked after by Coventry City Council (for example by a foster carer). Evidence – A letter from a relevant professional with the child`s name and date of birth. 
  • has a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education health and care plan (EHCP).  Evidence – A letter from a relevant professional with the child`s name and date of birth regarding the EHCP awarded. 
  • gets Disability Living Allowance. Evidence – Award letter for DLA.
  • has left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order. Evidence – A letter from a relevant professional with the child`s name and date of birth or Special guardianship, adoption or residence order from the court.
  • is supported through the common assessment framework (CAF) process - A personalised letter from the CAF lead professional would be required as evidence (Local Criteria)
  • is subject to a child protection plan or child in need plan - A personalised letter from the lead Social Worker would be required as evidence  (Local Criteria)
  • has a diagnosed syndrome, condition or disability that significantly affects the ability to access learning or has a delay of at least 6 months in 2 or more areas of development.  Evidence – A letter from a relevant professional working with the family regarding the SEN criteria listed here.

If your child is eligible, you can start claiming the term after they turn 2. The date you can claim will depend on when their birthday is.

Child’s birthday When you can claim
1 January and 31 March the start of the summer term following their second birthday
1 April and 31 August the start of the autumn term following their second birthday
1 September and 31 December the start of the spring term following their second birthday

Some Early Years providers may be able to offer less hours per week for more weeks during the year for example 11 hours a week for 50 weeks a year. This way the childcare could also be taken up during holiday periods. Not all providers are able to do this so please check with them when you ask them about the two year old funded place. This would be called a stretched offer.

Here is more guidance on the 2-year-old funding entitlement. for you to read if you wish.

Think you and your child may be eligible? Parents and carers with legal responsibility of two year olds or children that are nearly two, can Apply for a Two Year Old Funding Voucher.

Coventry Family Information Service


Tel: 024 7683 4373

Coventry City Council
PO Box 15
Council House

Is there anything wrong with this page?