Out of school clubs
These provide opportunities for school age children to play, learn and have fun and are run by a variety of organisations, such as school governors, community groups or private owners. Out of school services caring for children under 8 years of age for more than two hours a day are registered with Ofsted and generally operate outside of school hours and are run by a team of staff, usually called Play Workers.
What service do we provide?
We work closely with the Children, Learning and Young People Neighbourhood teams and our role is to monitor and report on the sufficiency and quality of childcare (5 - 19 years) particularly with regard to Every Child Matters outcomes and the Local Authority's Outcome Duties. Each neighbourhood has a designated Out of School Club Quality Development Officer.
Out of School Childcare Quality Development Officers
- Work with and support a range of childcare providers, including extended care, before and after holiday care clubs registered with Ofsted www.ofsted.gov.uk
- Provide information, support and guidance on meeting the welfare requirements and improving the quality of care, learning and development to ultimately improve outcomes for the children and families in Coventry.
- Work in partnership with providers to identify and overcome challenges that affect the sustainability and success of their provision including training needs specifically for practitioners in out of school services.
- Monitor childcare across the city to ensure sufficient provision is available across the city.
- Provide play specific training and briefings and support continued professional development.