Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


The benefit cap

Pages in The benefit cap

  1. The benefit cap
  2. Who is exempt?
  3. When will it happen?
  1. How can we help?
  2. More information

Who is exempt?

You are not affected by the benefit cap if you or your partner work, and either of the following apply:

  • You or your partner are eligible for Working Tax Credit
  • You or your partner get Universal Credit, and your household income is more than £430 a month after tax and National Insurance

You are not affected by the benefit cap if you or your partner have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit.

You are not affected by the benefit cap if anyone in your household gets any of the following benefits:

However, if you have adult children or non-dependants living with you and they qualify for any of these benefits, you may be affected by the cap.

From 7 November 2016, the Government will also include people who get any of the following benefits as exempt from the benefit cap:

  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Universal Credit payments towards carer’s costs
  • Guardian’s Allowance

If you think you may be eligible for one of these benefits and need help or advice you can contact:

  • The Coventry Law Centre on 024 7622 3053
  • Coventry Citizens' Advice Bureau on 024 7622 3284
  • Coventry Independent Advice Service on 024 7652 1100 or visit

Benefits service


Tel: 024 7683 1800


Customer Service Centre
Broadgate House

Is there anything wrong with this page?