Complaints about schools

What can you do if you have a concern or complaint about a school?

Most complaints will be raised by parents, but other individuals or organisations may feel they have cause to complain. What follows is general advice about the practical steps you can take to raise your concerns.  If you are a child, you can follow the same steps. 

The governing bodies of all maintained schools are required to have, and to publish, a procedure for dealing with complaints relating to the school, and to any community facilities or services that the school provides.

Some complaints are covered by special  (some of them statutory) procedures.  For example, applications for school places, exclusions from school, special educational needs provision, or the curriculum, including religious education. 

Whatever it is, the important thing is to talk to someone at school as soon as possible. That may be all that is needed to solve the problem. By taking this step, the head teacher or other senior member of staff can also advise you if your concern is a matter which will be dealt with through a special procedure.

Full details of the procedure for a particular school are available from the school.

General enquiries

2nd Floor, Spire House, New Union Street, Coventry, CV1 2PW

Tel: 024 7683 3333

Fax: 024 7629 4413