Food production - hygiene
Food production and quality
The Food Safety Team are here to ensure that food produced and sold within the city is safe to eat. Food Safety legislation is enforced in a wide range of businesses, from corner shops to large supermarkets; from takeaways to large hotel complexes. These pages give guidance to food businesses on how to comply with legislation, as well as advice and assistance to people at home who have questions or problems with food safety.
What do we do?
- Food hygiene and safety inspections.
- Dealing with complaints about food and food businesses.
- Investigating possible cases of food poisoning.
- Promoting food safety.
- Advising local businesses about food safety issues.
Facts and figures
In an average year we will:
- Inspect approximately 1500 food businesses. The vast majority of these businesses are satisfactory, however, a small number will be closed immediately because they are a risk to public health.
- Investigate around 300 cases of suspected and confirmed food poisoning.
- Analyse around 250 food samples. Where food is found to be unsatisfactory, action is taken to secure improvements.