Local history and archives
Coventry History Centre
This is a major resource that holds archive collections ranging from medieval times to the present day; family history resources; oral history recordings; maps; plans; photographs; printed books; and pamphlets.
The History Centre, along with The Herbert's education areas and museum store, provide ideal help for students, historians, or anyone wanting to learn more about their history.
- The History Centre is open Tuesday to Saturday - 10.30am to 3.30pm (Closed Monday and Sunday)
- The Reading Room is open Tuesday to Saturday - 10.30am to 3.30pm.
- The Research Room - where original archive documents are viewed - now has an appointment system. Documents must be ordered no later than 3.30pm the day before your visit and a time of day will be arranged for you to view them. Appointments are available Tuesday to Friday.
The Research Room will not be open on Saturdays.
Please visit the History Centre's website for more information.
What is available?
The History Centre has:
- Coventry Archives
- Ancestry website (Library edition)
- General Register Office Index to Births, Deaths and Marriages in England & Wales from September 1837-2004.
- International Genealogical Index (I.G.I.)
- Census Information
- Local Newspapers on microfilm
- Family history material on microfiche
- Electoral Registers
- London Road Civic Cemetery Burial Registers and plans of the cemetery
- Online access to pictures of Coventry
- Internet access
- Local history books, pamphlets and maps in the Reading Room
- Special collections - George Eliot, Automobile and Cycling.