Free children's creative writing competition
Tuesday 30 October 2012
A children's creative writing competition has been launched for youngsters who love stories and think they have what it takes to be the next JK Rowling or Roald Dahl.
Organisers are looking for schools to get involved with inspiring young writers aged between six and 11 to pen imaginative stories linked to the Herbert's current Dinosaurs Uncovered exhibition or about an exciting item from the museum's collections.
There are two categories to enter:
- Six to seven years: short tales up to 300 words in length
- Eight to eleven years: short stories up to 500 words in length
And we will do everything possible to credit all of the schools involved online, promote what schools shortlisted and winning entries come from and even get English teachers from any of the above involved in the awards and promotions for winners and short listed parties (if they want to!).
All teachers have to do to enter is get their class to think of a story each, and write it down making sure they don't go over the amount of words available and send it to: Children's Writing Competition, C/o Jamie Perry, Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Jordan Well, Coventry, CV1 5QP.
Entries must include:
- Full name and age of the child entering
- The category entered (6-7 or 8-11)
- Stories must be within the correct word count per category
- Stories must be based around dinosaurs or an item from the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum's collection
- The name of the story
- Full name of guardian / class and school
- Postal address
- E-mail address of guardian (if applicable)
- Closing dates for all stories is Friday 23 November 2012 at 4pm.
- No entries after this date will be accepted
- Both the story and the name of the child / author may be published and used for promotional purposes linked to the work of the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum in press, online and through any other relevant sources
- Winning stories will be published in local press and the overall winner of each category will have their stories read out live on Touch FM!
- Short listed entrants will be issued with FREE family tickets for the Dinosaurs Uncovered exhibition
- All entrants will receive a discounted entry to the Dinosaurs Uncovered exhibition
- All entries will be entered into a free quarterly draw as part of the Herbert's regular electronic mailing list