Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Civil Partnerships

Notice of intention

Before you can enter into a civil partnership you must give your notice of intention.

  • Each person has to give their own notice of intention to the Civil Partnership Registrar at the register office for the district where they live. 
  • If both people live at the same address, both notices must be given at the office for their district.
  • Both people must have lived in the district for at least seven whole days immediately before giving notice of intention to form a civil partnership.
  • The notices must be given in person. No other person can give it for you.

Registering your notice of intention

Coventry Register Office operates an appointment system. Please make sure you allow plenty of time before the date you would like your civil partnership to take place. Once the notice has been taken you will have to wait 28 clear days before the formation can take place.  The notice lasts for 12 months, so once notice is given, you have up to 12 months to register your civil partnership before the notice expires.

Booking an appointment

There is a charge of £35 per person to give a Notice of Civil Partnership. This fee must be paid when you make your appointment.

A refund will be given if you have to cancel or change your appointment as long as you give at least five working days' notice - unless exceptional circumstances can be proved.


Book an appointment for giving of Notice of Civil Partnership

By telephone

You will need to have a payment card ready when phoning to book your appointment on 024 7683 3141.

What you need to bring to your appointment

  When you attend to give your notice(s) you will need to bring the following documents.

  • Current, valid passport OR
  • If you were born before 1 January 1983, a birth certificate.
  • If you were born on or after 1 January 1983 you will need a full birth certificate confirming your parents' names and also your mother's passport or birth certificate.
  • Identification to confirm your current names and addresses, such as a utility bill, bank statement or driving licence
  • Proof of ending of any former marriage or civil partnership - decree absolute, death certificate or dissolution of civil partnership.
  • Any name change documents - Deed Poll, Name Change Deeds or Statutory Declarations
  • Consent form (available from Register Office) is needed where either person is between 16 and 18 years old
  • All of the above documents MUST be originals - photocopies will not be accepted.

It is your responsibility to make sure that all the above legal actions are completed and to produce all of the necessary documents. Failure to produce them may mean that the notice cannot be taken and further paperwork cannot be issued.

If the notice is not completed because the right documents aren't available at the appointment, a refund will not be given and an extra fee will need to be taken to reserve a further appointment.

Register office

Telephone: Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm


Tel: 024 7683 3141

Building opening times: 9.15am–4.30pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)
Cheylesmore Manor House
Manor House Drive

Is there anything wrong with this page?