Use an e-resource
Oxford Music Online
This e-resource is available from a library computer and from home.
Oxford Music Online is the leading online resource for music research, a comprehensive compendium of music scholarship offering the full texts of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd edition (2001), The New Grove Dictionary of Opera (1992), and The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, 2nd edition (2002), as well as numerous subsequent updates and emendations.
- A comprehensive one-stop resource for anyone from novice students to advanced scholars
- Over 50,000 signed articles by more than 6,000 international contributors provide comprehensive coverage of the field in one easy-to-use resource
- 500+ Sibelius-enabled musical examples cover styles and people from habanera to Handel
- Subject guides, musical timelines, and research resources provide invaluable support for teachers and students
- Supplemented with content from The Oxford Companion to Music and The Oxford Dictionary of Music, 2nd edition
- Three updates per year, with at least one update focusing on contemporary music
Search and discover
- Use Advanced search or Quick search to find the content you need
- Narrow your choices by content type (e.g. biographies, subject entries, images)
- Search within articles or for full text results only
- Browse by biographies, subject entries, discographies and compilations or videographies
- Expand research via featured related content
Sharing and citation tools
- Share content with the ability to print or email search results
- Export entries to citation software, or copy and cite
From a library computer:
What you will need to login:
Frequently asked questions
I am trying to log in but have forgotten my library card number?
You will need to visit your local library with identification and proof of address (i.e. driving licence, utility bill) so we can look you up and provide you with your library card number.