Registering to vote

Register to vote

The registration system changed in June 2014, introducing online voter registration for the first time.

I've received a letter through my door about registration - what do I do?

 We're writing out to everyone who is registered to vote, and residents who will need to take action to make sure they are registered in future - find out more about these letters

How is the new system different?

You can now register online at

Everyone is now responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the ‘head of every household’ could register everyone who lived at their address.

You need to provide a few more details to register – including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.


I'm already registered - will I need to do anything?

Look out for a letter from the Council in July.

Most people who are already registered to vote will be rolled-over onto the new system, and will receive a letter confirming that they are still registered. However, some people will need to take action to join the new register. We will be writing to these people with a form to request more information.

The letter will tell you whether you are on the new register or whether you need to take action.  Please respond to the letter if you are asked to.

I sent back a form last year, and/or voted in May – am I still registered?

If you registered at your current address before 10 June 2014, you will receive a letter, either confirming that you are still registered, or that the Council needs further information. If we ask for more information from you, please return the form as soon as possible.

How do I register under the new system?

  1. Go to
  2. Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You’ll also need your national insurance number, which can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.

Look out for a confirmation e-mail to say you're registered.

Electoral services

Room 14, Council House, Earl Street, Coventry, CV1 5RR


Tel: 024 7683 3034

Fax: 024 7683 3204