Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Student Council Tax

Many full time students are eligible for a Council Tax exemption or discount. You qualify as a full time student if you study for at least 21 hours per week for 24 weeks of the year.

To find out if you meet the criteria for these, you need to tell us about your living circumstances using this simple online form.

  • If you live in students' halls of residence you don’t need to do anything – we will already have the information we need for you.

If you don’t let us know about your situation, you will receive a Council Tax demand for the full amount – which could be up to £3193.89 per year.

Can I get a discount or exemption for my Council Tax?

What happens to the Council Tax I pay?

You can find out more about what Council Tax pays for with the information on our ‘About Council Tax’ page. 

Is there anything wrong with this page?