Transferring to foster with Coventry City Council
Already Fostering? Joining Coventry City Council’s team of Foster Carers is easier than you think!
Every week we receive enquiries from people just like you thinking about transferring over to Coventry. There are many reasons why people prefer to foster with Coventry City Council including:
- We place the children, our foster carers are most likely to have placements - At Coventry City Council we always look to our own team of foster carers to provide placements for children who require one. We only look further afield when we have explored every possible solution to meeting the child or children’s needs from our own team first. This means that our foster carers are most likely to get regular placements within their preferred age range.
- We don't make a profit from fostering, our priority is to keep children safe - We are dedicated to keeping our foster carers supported and trained to be able to provide the best possible safe, nurturing care for Coventry children. We want to keep tax-payers money invested into the provision of local quality public services which help support our children and our City.
- We have an extensive, locally delivered, quality training package for the whole team - We understand that foster carers need a wide range of training opportunities and as the Local Authority we are able to put on a wide range of local training to cover different issues that may be relevant to foster carers. In Coventry we have also adopted a ‘team around the child’ approach which means that our foster carers and social workers train together which helps share knowledge, nurture relationships and build a shared understanding of the issues and challenges inherent in fostering.
- Our local team provides your support 24/7 - All our foster carers benefit from their own allocated supervising social worker, based here in Coventry. The support team social workers also cover the 24/7 helpline for our foster carers, meaning that you have local, team based support should an issue arise out of hours. As part of our team you also have access to other related support services such as Coventry CaMHS and educational support services.
- We value foster carers experiences and have significantly improved our financial package - We know that people don’t foster ‘for the money’ but we also understand that money is an important factor in most people’s lives. We pay a ‘fee per child’ to the fostering household for each child in placement alongside an ‘allowance’ for each child’s needs which are shown in this leaflet. We also pay a number of ‘additional payments’ details of these can be downloaded. Most carers now find this is comparable or better than other fostering agencies- please do speak to us about this if you are unsure about anything.
- We are a community - Our foster carers are a crucial part of our team. We have an active ‘Coventry Foster Carers’ Association’ which runs a number of events from weekly meet ups, monthly coffee mornings to bigger events such as the ‘Big Day Out’ at Warwick University and a Pool Party. We also run a number of events throughout the year including an annual Fostering Families Celebration Event hosted by The Lord Mayor, Christmas Parties and a formal welcome to the community for all newly approved carers hosted in the historic Council House. All of these events recognise and celebrate the whole ‘fostering family’ including other children in the household, supportive relatives and the social work teams.
How do I transfer to Coventry City Council?
- Step One: Ring our Enquiry Line on 024 7683 2828, complete our simple online form, or come along to one of our friendly ‘Meet the team’ events.
- Step Two: We’ll visit you at home and discuss your situation.
- Step Three: We'll allocate you a social worker assessment and follow the Fostering Network Transfer Protocol. Meanwhile we will invite you to come along to any training or meet ups that you might find useful
- Step Four: We’ll take your report to Panel for recommendation and approval
- Step Five: You’re part of the team! You will be allocated your own supervising social worker and your family are invited by The Lord Mayor to attend a Welcome Event
Find out more today