Who are we?
The LD - CAMHS are a multi-disciplinary team who work with children who have a moderate to severe learning disability and additional significant mental health/behavioural problems. We endeavour to work closely with young people, their families and other professionals who are also supporting the young person. We accept referrals for children and young people aged 0-18 years old that have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP ). Our service only supports children with Section G of their EHCP.
If children are referred over the age of 16 years, our team will work with adult services and transition forums as needed.
Who is in the team?
A young person with Special Education Needs and Disabilities may need to be supported by a number of different professionals. We have the following professionals on our team:
- Consultant psychiatrist
- Clinical psychologist
- Specialist Learning Disability Nurses
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech and Language therapist
What do we offer?
A young person and their family are offered an initial assessment which will determine if we are the right service to help with their difficulties. This will be carried out by one of the clinical professionals in the team.
Initial assessments are often held in clinic but can be arranged to be carried out at home or school. It is essential that the young person and the parents/carers attend the assessment.
If a young person qualifies for our service a specialist assessment will be carried out. This may involve:
- Formal mental health, behavioural, psychological, sensory and/or communication assessments
- Direct interviews and observations of the young person, parents/carers/schools/respite carers
- Indirect interviews / gathering historical information
- Group intervention
Intervention will depend on the outcome of the specialist assessments and may include:
- Working with the people around the young person, at home, in school and respite services
- Direct work with the young person
Sometimes it is necessary for a young person to be under the care of our Consultant Psychiatrist, this would be for:
Who can refer?
Referrals are accepted from:
Any professional that is involved with a child or young person as part of a local tiered response. This could be:
- Social Workers
- Health Visitors
- School Nurses
- Primary Mental Health Workers
- Educational Psychologists.
When a referral comes through a school, the Head Teacher should be notified.
- 0300 200 2021