This course is for PVI early years providers only. Practitioners who work in a school setting should email Charlotte.Hegarty@coventry.gov.uk for further information on training available for schools.
It is a statutory requirement for childminders and early-years settings to refresh their safeguarding training every two years. This course will satisfy all statutory requirements, update knowledge and further develop practitioner competence and confidence in carrying out the lead safeguarding role. Delegates will be equipped with the skills to effectively safeguard children in their care.
Aim and objectives
- Explanation of why is there a need for a refresher course
- What is the difference between safeguarding and child protection?
- The role of the DSL
- How to recognise signs and symptoms of abuse
- Key issues, including the types of abuse considered most prevalent in Coventry
- Online Safety
- What to do if you think a child is being abused
- Contextual safeguarding
- Golden Rules: key tips on how to conduct your own behaviour as a safeguarding lead
- Ensuring procedures are in place for safer recruitment of staff, including childminding assistants
- Aimed at
Early years safeguarding lead practitioners from a Childminder setting, Private, Voluntary,
Independent (PVI) Nurseries and Pre-Schools who have previously completed an initial DSL
- Date and time
Tuesday 21st and 28 March (two part course evening), 7pm-9pm both evenings
Course candidates must attend both sessions.
Early Years Team, Coventry City Council
- Delivery method
- Online via Microsoft Teams