Adult Social Care training and development - AMHP qualification training Foundation Year
Coventry City Council
The aim is for both the applicant and Coventry City Council to have the opportunity to ensure that they are ready and able to undertake the training required to become an AMHP and that the applicant fully understands the requirements and the expectations of both the course and the role itself. It is a chance for exposure to aspects of the role, to take part in the discussions and peer support.
The role of AMHP is appropriate for Managers and applicants must confirm agreement to the following:
- All applicants will be required to spend one day a month in a suitable Mental Health placement for a minimum of 10 months prior to the start of the Stage 1 course.
- This will be with CAMHS for children’s services applicants and an IPU for non-children’s services applicants and the AMHP Hub for mental health applicants.
- Attendance at least one formal Mental Health Act Assessment followed by 1:1 with the AMHP who led the assessment.
- Monthly AMHP supervision arranged with or by the AMHP lead from Mental Health Services
- Release to attend monthly AMHP Forums
- Demonstration that applicants are working at the level of responsibility and with the level of complexity that would be expected of someone who already holds the PQ Specialist Award in Mental Health Services
- Release to attend AMHP Continuing Development Programme events including where appropriate attending the daily (virtual) AMHP Teams meetings.
The AMHP qualification course meets the criteria as set down by the Department of Health Statutory Instrument 1206 Schedule 2 to the Mental Health (AMH) (Approval) (England) Regulations 2008.
The College of Social Work undertook an exercise to map AMHP Competency to the PCF.
Social Workers in Adults' and Children's Social Care