Adult Social Care training and development - Motivational Interviewing
Lydia Guthrie, Change Point
This course will offer:
- an introduction to the principles and value base of Motivational Interviewing
- an introduction to the Motivational Cycle of Change (Prochaska and DiClemente)
- an overview of the evidence base for MI, and suggestions about when it might be useful
- an introduction to the core skills of MI – Open ended questions, Affirmations, Reflections and Summaries
- an introduction to Change Talk – how to elicit it, notice it, and build upon the person’s motivation to change
- brief demonstrations of MI in practice
- opportunities to reflect upon individual practice and to identify areas of skill and areas for development
2 x 3hr sessions over 2 days online via MS Teams
Knowledge and Skills Framework
KSS 3 – Person – Centred Practice. KSS 6 –Effective assessments and outcome focused support planning. KSS 7 – Direct work with individuals and families. KSS 9 – Organisational Content. KSS 10 – Professional Leadership.
Professional Capability Framework
PCF – 1 – Professionalism. PCF – 5 – Knowledge. PCF 7 – Intervention & Skills. PCF 8 – Organisational Frameworks. PCF 9 – Professionalism.
Social Workers, Occupational Therapist and Social Care Practitioners.