The School might date back to 1344 when Queen Isabella, a widow of Edward II, gave land at ‘Babbelak’ for the building of the original St John’s (or Bablake) Church. This may well have been an act of compensation for her involvement in her husband’s death. It is probable that a ‘college’ was added to the Church at an early date. The Old Bablake School can be seen adjoining Bonds Hospital, and St Johns Church in Hill Street, with the "new" school, which is now over 100 years old, being in Coundon Road.
024 7627 1200
024 7663 1947