Coventry's twin towns and cities - Arnhem, Netherlands

Name

Arnhem

Year of twinning

1958

About the town or city

Arnhem is the capital of the Dutch region of Gelderland. This link started in 1958 when Coventry invited Arnhem to send a delegation to the city.

Arnhem, the capital of the region of Gelderland, is an industrial and commercial centre, with a large trade in grain. Major manufactured items include precision instruments, paper, mirrors, and wood products. Among the principal places of interest in Arnhem are the Groote Kerk (Great Church), dating from the 15th century, and the 16th-century town hall. In medieval times Arnhem was a member of the Hanseatic League, a group of German trading communities.

In 1944 intense fighting left most of the city in ruins, including the since-restored 15th century Eusebiuskerk (Church of St Eusebius). Arnhem has been comprehensively rebuilt since World War II.

Population

135,000

Distance from Coventry

287 miles

Location

Is there anything wrong with this page?