Lidice is a small village in the Bohemia region of the Czech Republic. This link was established in 1947 when representatives from Coventry were present at the laying of the foundation stone of the new village. In 1954 Coventry sent 1000 roses to be planted in the memorial rose garden.
The village of Lidice is known throughout the world. In June 1942 the civilian population was killed in an act of revenge by the Nazi occupiers.
A new village was built near to the site of the previous one, separated only by a memorial to those who died, the international rose garden, to which many towns and cities around the world made contributions.
The village is located approximately 20 km west of Prague near the city of Kladno.