Equality, diversity and inclusion commitment
We are committed to:
- Our continuing duty as a public authority to have due regard to the need to eliminate discrimination, harassment, and any other conduct prohibited under the Equality Act 2010
- Recognising and celebrating diversity, and ensuring equality of opportunity both as a provider and commissioner of services and as a large employer
- Developing a culture that embeds the effective management of equality, diversity and inclusion in our day-to-day practices, policies, procedures, and through our external relationships
We recognise that people still experience inequality because of their background. We will therefore lead by example and not tolerate discrimination, harassment and victimisation on the grounds of:
- Age, disability, gender reassignment, marital and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
This commitment is supported by and has been developed with employees, members and our trade union colleagues.
Putting communities first
We are committed to:
- Working with partner organisations and citizens to find out what is important to communities and working together to make a difference on issues and priorities that matter most
- Fostering good relations between different groups and communities to build and maintain strong social networks and opportunities for greater cohesion
- Informing, consulting and involving a wide range of people including employees and stakeholders about decisions which affect them so that they can influence policies and practices
- Ensuring that people from different backgrounds are able to fully participate in consultation and involvement activities
Service delivery / provision
We are committed to promoting equality of opportunity in our service delivery by:
- Providing accessible information about the services available
- Taking into account the equality impacts of the decisions we make and seeking to mitigate any adverse impacts where possible
- Delivering services in ways which are appropriate to citizen needs and, whenever possible, removing barriers which may deny access
- Taking steps to ensure that organisations providing services on our behalf operate in accordance with the aims of this commitment
- Actively encouraging organisations providing services on our behalf to sign up to the Disability Confident Scheme
We are committed to promoting equality of opportunity in employment by:
- Monitoring the composition of its workforce and taking positive action to redress inequalities
- Recruiting and retaining a workforce, at all levels, with the aspiration that it reflects the city’s diverse communities and the people we serve
- Providing appropriate training and guidance to all staff to develop the aims of this commitment
- Investigating any instances of breaches of this commitment or relevant policies following the applicable procedures
To ensure the effectiveness of this commitment, we will:
- Set equality objectives and monitor progress against them – these contain more detail on the current priorities for action
- Continue to consider equal opportunities implications as part of decision making
All employees of the Council are accountable and responsible for taking steps to promote our equality, diversity and inclusion commitment in their day-to-day work.
This commitment will underpin and support our workforce strategy and will be integrated within our policies and practices.
This commitment will be reviewed jointly by senior leaders, employees and our trade union colleagues on a regular basis.
Coventry Insight Engagement TeamAddress: PO Box 15