Built in the Gothic Revival style in 1868 by architects Paull and Robinson an opportunity to view the chapel including the Feibusch Mural 'Ascension'.
The Jewish German artist (1898 - 1998) was awarded the German grant state prize for painters in 1930. However a few years later he had to flee the Nazi regime when his name was included on Geobel's list of degenerate artists. He moved to Britain and built up a reputation painting murals on Anglican churches and public buildings. The mural at St Mark's was painted in 1963. For years since the closure of the church for worship in 1973 the mural has been hidden from public view although the building was used an an outpatient department till 2005. The mural is now recognised as a significant art work of the the Century.
Saturday 14 September: 1000-1300
Saturday 21 September: 1000-1300
No booking required
There are two steep steps into the chapel area and no hand rail.
On foot: From Millennium Place cross under the ring road and turn left at Bird Street. The church is on the corner of Bird Street and Stoney Stanton Road. The entrance is at the north end of the church with access from Stoney Stanton Road. By car: Take junction 2 from the ring road and turn left into Bird Street and then right onto Stoney Stanton Road. On street parking nearby. By bus - use number 21 service.