The City of Coventry Freemen's Guild was re-formed in 1946 with the assistance of the City of London Freemen's Guild. The original Guild was formed in the 14th century but was disbanded by Henry VIII.
The Freemen's Guild Room occupies a chamber at the north end of the Medieval undercroft beneath St Mary's Guildhall. This atmospheric room with some interesting carvings, dates from the 15th century when a row of shops on the site was demolished to make way for an extension to the Guildhall's Great Hall and Undercroft.
Learn about the history of Coventry Freemen and what they do in modern times and why they are so special.
Children and adults can engage with history and dress up and become a 'Freemen for the Day'.
Saturday 21 September: 1000-1600
Sunday 22 September: 1000-1600
No booking required
Access is down 5 stone steps so not suitable for people with mobility problems. Numbers are not limited but there is limited space for visitors. (Maximum 24)
Toilets can be found in St Mary's Guildhall next door.
Contact for the day: Peter Wilford - 024 7644 3733