Financial support (5-16 years old)

Coventry SEND Local Offer

Parents, carers and young people who are becoming independent often have questions about the benefits and funding options that are available for a child or young person with SEND.

These can be things like benefits or the money that is allocated to a child or young person with an Education Health and Care Plan.

You can find out more about the financial support that might be available, depending on a child or young person's situation and age.

Find out about:

View full details of Child Tax Credit - Disability Element


The disability element of Child Tax Credit is paid for each disabled child or Qualifying Young Person that a claimant is responsible for, irrespective of the two child limit policy (benefit cap) and whether or not a basic child element is paid for the child or Qualifying Young Person.

A child or Qualifying Young Person is disabled for tax credit purposes if any rate of DLA or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is payable for the child or Qualifying Young Person, or has ceased to be payable solely because they are a hospital in-patient.

For more information or help with Benefits, you can contact:

close result
View full details of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)


Disability Living Allowance (DLA) may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability

They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements.

The amount of DLA received depends on the level of help the child needs.

For more information or help with benefits, you can contact 

close result
View full details of Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)


You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.

You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance. You will not need to repay DSAs.

If you’re a part-time student, your ‘course intensity’ can affect how much you get.

How much you get depends on your individual needs - not your household income.

If you decide to submit an application for DSA, you will get confirmation of whether your application is successful within 6 weeks.

It can take up to 14 weeks to get your DSA support in place, as this is done separately.

For more information or help with Benefits, you can contact:

close result
View full details of Personal Budget


A Personal Budget is one part of a personalised way of supporting children and young people with special educational needs or disability (SEND). A Personal Budget should not be seen in isolation but as an integral part of the agreed individual plan, with a clear focus on improving outcomes for children and young people.

A Personal Budget is an amount of money identified by the Local authority to deliver provision set out in an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).  It is not all of the money that is spent on a child or young person, but is the element that a parent or carer can have control of. It is the funding that must be used to meet the needs, outcomes and provision outlined in the EHCP.

For more information, please see the Coventry Personal Budget Statement 

The video above was made by KIDS Charity, a charity that supports disabled children and young people and their families. 


close result
View full details of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)


Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability.

You could get between £22.65 and £145.35 a week if you’re aged 16 or over and have not reached State Pension age.

The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You’ll be assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get. Your rate will be regularly reviewed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

For more information, please consult the UK Government PIP website.

If your application for PIP is turned down you can ask the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to look at the decision again – this is called a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR).  If you have additional information to support your PIP claim that was not available when you made your claim, this can be presented to the DWP as part of the MR process.  Full details on how to request a MR or how to Appeal a decision is provided on the PIP award letter you will receive from the DWP when you apply for PIP.

Is PIP for you or someone you know?

This film focuses on the steps before the claim and an overview of who might be eligible.

Claiming PIP 

This film looks at the claim process – making the initial telephone call, when you should get the form and how long you have to complete it.

Supporting information for PIP 

This film focuses on the supporting information you should include with your claim and why it’s important.

The face-to-face assessment

This film gives an overview of what to expect if you are asked to attend a face-to-face assessment with an independent, qualified health professional.

The PIP decision – key things to know

This film focuses on when a claimant has received a PIP decision letter. It also outlines the importance of reporting any changes in circumstances so that we can ensure the level of benefit they are getting is still right.

For more information or help with Benefits, you can contact:

close result
View full details of Top up funding / SEND funding


Top Up Funding is agreed locally and is given to schools under three main headings:

Element 1: an amount of money for each pupil in the school

Schools get most of their funding based on the total number of pupils in the school. Every pupil in a school attracts an amount of money. The amount varies from one authority to another. There is usually more funding for each pupil in a secondary school than in a primary school. In 2015/16, all secondary schools, including academies, are getting at least £4,000 for each pupil and all primary schools are getting at least £3,000 for each pupil.

This is the core budget for each school and it is used to make general provision for all pupils in the school including pupils with SEN.

Element 2: the school’s Notional SEN budget

Every school receives an additional amount of money to help make special educational provision to meet children’s SEN. This is called the Notional SEN budget.

Element 2 is called the Notional SEN budget because no-one tells schools exactly how they should spend their money. When funding is delegated to schools, they can spend it in the way they think is best. However, schools have a duty to identify, assess and make special educational provision for all children with SEN; and the local authority has a duty to set out what schools are expected to provide from their delegated budget. 

The amount in this budget is based on a formula which is agreed between schools and the local authority. The formula usually gives more money to schools that have more children on free school meals and more children who are not doing as well as others in English and Maths. This provides a good guide to how many children with SEN a school is likely to have.

A small number of schools may find they have many more children with SEN than expected. This might happen where, for example, a school has a good reputation for teaching children with SEN. Where this does happen, the school can ask the local authority for additional funding.

The government has recommended that schools should use this notional SEN budget to pay for up to £6,000 worth of special educational provision to meet a child’s SEN. Most children with SEN need special educational provision that comes to less than £6,000.

Special educational provision is anything that is provided to meet a child’s SEN that is ‘additional to or different from’ provision made for all children. The local authority must make sure that the special educational provision specified in an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is made for the child. For a child receiving SEN Support a school must use its ‘best endeavours’ to make sure that special educational provision is made to meet a child’s SEN. Schools must also follow the SEND Code of Practice 2014 which expects schools to involve parents in decisions a about how their child’s needs are met.

Element 3: top-up funding

If the school can show that a pupil with SEN needs more than £6,000 worth of special educational provision, it can ask the local authority to provide top-up funding to meet the cost of that provision. Where the local authority agrees, the cost is provided from funding held by the local authority for children and young people with high levels of need.

Element 3 is provided by the local authority for an individual pupil who has a high level of need. Schools are expected to use this funding to make provision for that individual pupil.

Funding for the provision specified in an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan comes from the local authority's high needs block, along with funding for the first £6,000 worth of provision from the school’s notional SEN budget. The school will continue to provide this when they receive top-up funding for a child with an EHC Plan.

close result
View full details of Universal Credit - UC



Universal Credit is a payment to help with living costs.

It’s paid monthly and replaces Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit.

It is available for people over 18 years of age and is being used in many parts of the country already, including Coventry.

People who have a disability or care for someone with a disability may not need to claim Universal Credit, depending on their circumstances.

For more information about Universal Credit please visit the following websites

For more information or help with Benefits, you can contact:


close result

Didn't find what you were looking for? Search again, or add a group, activity or organisation to our listings.

Coventry SEND

Is there anything wrong with this page?