Health (5-16 years old)

Coventry SEND Local Offer

There are a variety of health services for children and young people with Special Education Needs and Disabilities.

These services aim to identify, assess and diagnose health issues and then provide the appropriate treatment or intervention.

In this section, you can learn about what health services are available and how to access them. There is also a description of how health services in Coventry work and how health services work together.

Find out about:

View full details of An Introduction to Health Provision in Coventry


Health Services for children and young people with SEN or disabilities provide the following for children and young people:

  1. early identification
  2. assessment and diagnosis
  3. intervention and review.  

What health services are available?

There are many different health services available from acute hospital wards, to GPs to physiotherapists to immunisation nurses etc.

There are some health services that are more likely to be involved in supporting children and young people with SEN and/or disability. These services have different focuses;

  1. Public health services for children ensure a whole population approach to health and wellbeing including preventative service such as immunisations.  They will deliver universal services to all children at specific times and more targeted and specialist services when needed.  School nursing and health visiting services work in this way by providing screening and support at key times and offering individual interventions when needed.  School age immunisation services have an immunisation program directed by public health delivered to all schools in Coventry.
  2. Community Health Services support children who have a specialist health need or an emerging specialist health need in their communities.  These services are often delivered by Community Paediatricians, Psychiatrists, Nurses and Allied Health Professionals such as Occupational Therapists, Speech and Language Therapists, Physiotherapists and Psychologists. Children and young people can be referred into these services if a family or another professional had identified a need that meets individual service criteria.
  3. Some children and young people with specific specialist health needs may need Highly Specialist Children’s NHS Services provided by specialist regional or national providers. Referrals to these services will normally be made by the child or young person’s Paediatrician.
  4. All health providers have a responsibility to notify the local authority of any children under statutory school age who have or may have a SEN or disability, once discussed with the parents.

You will find out more about the health services which commonly work with children with SEN and/or disability within Coventry in their specific sections of the local offer.

Jargon buster

Health service provider

A health service provider is an organisation which holds contracts for delivering certain health services. Different providers will hold different responsibilities.  There is more than one provider of health services for children and young people in Coventry.
Providers local to Coventry are;

Private practitioners and third sector (charity) practitioners are also providers in their own right.

Health service commissioners

Commissioning organisations are responsible for planning, organising and buying services for the populations they serve. They will contract with providers to deliver specified services. 

The Designated Clinical Officer and Designated Medical Officer

The code of practice 2014 placed new statutory duties on clinical commissioning groups to contract services which specifically supported children and young people with SEN and/or disability.  This was to ensure local areas worked better together.

To help clinical commissioning groups undertake their new responsibilities, they appointed to a designated clinical officer (DCO) and/or designated medical officer (DMO).  These roles are undertaken by people with an appropriate level of knowledge and expertise of the health needs and systems of a local area.

Key responsibilities of these roles in Coventry are;

  • To provide a contact for local authorities, schools and colleges seeking health advice on children and young people who have or may have SEN and/or disabilities.
  • To support providers in their duty of notifying Coventry City Council of children under statutory school age who have or may have SEN and/or disability.
  • To support commissioners in meeting their statutory duties in commissioning services to meet the SEND agenda.
close result
View full details of An Introduction to Universal Health Services


Universal Health Services are Health Services that all children and young people will qualify for. In some cases, there will be similar services available especially for people with Special Education Needs and Disabilities. These services are provided by South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust, Coventry Warwickshire Partnership Trust and the NHS.

You can find out more about universal health services on the Coventry City Council Family Health and Wellbeing website.


A GP is a General Practitioner. This is the doctor that a person sees for general health concerns. A GP can refer someone on to more specialist services where needed and can advise about general health concerns.

Information about choosing a GP in your area.

School Nurse

School Nursing Teams are led by qualified Nurses who have undertaken further training to qualify for this specialist role.
Each team covers a group of schools in a geographical area. School Nurses are not based in individual schools.

The School Nurse plays a key role in Health Promotion and works to address Public Health Issues e.g. reducing teenage pregnancy, reducing childhood obesity,and issues relating to drug,smoking and alcohol use.

The School Nurse is pleased to give advice to parents and/or your children about any health concern they may have - e.g. sleeping, behaviour, allergic reactions, bed wetting, to name but a few.

School Nurses run confidential health clinics in some secondary schools within the city.

School Nursing Services that are available in special schools are arranged by the Coventry Commissioning Group (CCG).  

School Nursing website.


Everyone should be able to access good-quality NHS dental services. There is no need to register with a dentist in the same way as with a GP because you are not bound to a catchment area. Simply find a dental practice that's convenient for you, whether it's near your home or work, and phone them to see if there are any appointments available.

Health Visiting 

The Health Visiting Team work to improve the health and wellbeing of children and families in the crucial first years of life. Our community teams offer friendly support and advice and we work closely with GPs, midwives, school nurses and the wider local community. The service is universal to all children and families, with a wider service to those with additional needs.

Health Visitor website.

Positive Choices Coventry 

Coventry Young Person's Service is a free and confidential young person's early intervention and substance misuse service for young people, their families, carers and affected others.

Positive Choices Coventry.

CWPT is committed to improving the quality of patient experience an the effectiveness of our care. They are keen to work with service users to understand how they can do things better.

close result
View full details of Community Dental Service


The Community Dental Service is a specialised service providing dental treatment for children, adults and older people who, because of a mental or behavioural impairment or disability, are unable to access general practice dental care.

Our staff have expertise in the care, management and understanding of people with special needs. The provision of this dedicated care is often complex and challenging.

To be referred to this service a young person must have special needs and be registered with a Coventry GP.

This service offers treatment for people with:

  • learning difficulties;
  • mental health problems;
  • physical disability;
  • severe or complex medical problems;
  • social/emotional/behavioural problems;
  • phobias that are currently undergoing treatment;
  • older people who are housebound or in residential care.

Services provided:

  • Routine dental care for special needs patients;
  • Mobile dental unit to serve special need schools and adult centres for people with learning disabilities;
  • Domiciliary visits for housebound patients who meet service criteria;
  • Oral health promotion services;
  • General anaesthetic referral for patients requiring extractions and who meet service criteria.  

Elsewhere on the web


 024 7696 1375

close result
View full details of Community Paediatric Dieticians


Community Paediatric Dieticians

Community Paediatric Dieticians provides a service for children with special needs. 

If you have concerns regarding your child’s or young person's nutritional needs, please initially discuss them with their school nurse, health visitor or GP. 

If they feel it is appropriate, they will refer you for a consultation with one of the dieticians.

close result
View full details of Community Paediatrics


Community Paediatricians provide specialist care for children and young people. They also carry out a range of duties in relation to child protection, medical advice for special educational needs, and health assessments of children in care. 

The role of the paediatrician involves prevention, identification, assessment, diagnosis, treatment and support. C

Community paediatricians are also closely networked with many other health professionals.

For more information, please visit the CWPT Community Paediatrics website.  

close result
View full details of Local Organisation - Red Cross Borrow A Wheelchair Scheme



The Red Cross Borrow a Wheelchair Scheme lets you borrow or hire a wheelchair from the British Red Cross for a single trip or for short-term use.

They provide wheelchairs:

  • you can push yourself (self-propelled)
  • someone else can push (transit)
  • to suit your size and weight – from extra small (suitable for children over five) to extra large
  • with accessories (eg leg extension).

For more information, please visit the Red Cross Borrow a Wheelchair Scheme website

close result
View full details of Paediatric Continence Service


Paediatric Continence provides specialist assessment, advice and treatment for children with the continence problems, daytime wetting and nocturnal enuresis. 

How do I know if my child has a continence problem? 

Daytime wetting 

Leaking urine after we expect a child to be toilet trained is very common: one in seven children aged four and one in 20 children aged nine are affected; it ranges from damp patches in your child’s pants to a full-blown pee accident.

Bedwetting (Nocturnal enuresis) 

Bedwetting happens when a child unconsciously empties their bladder whilst they’re asleep. Wetting the bed is a common childhood condition affecting half a million children and teenagers in the UK. It’s not your child’s fault if they wake up with wet sheets and it doesn’t mean they’re lazy.

What can I do if my child has a continence problem?

If you are concerned that your child has a difficulty, you can get information and advice in the first instance from your health visitor, school nurse or GP. You should see you GP if you suspect your child is constipated or has a urinary tract infection. Health visitors and school nurses will provide initial advice and support with toilet training daytime wetting and bedwetting.

Support is also available through 

When should your child be referred to the Paediatric continence service? 

If the child or young person continues to experience problems with daytime wetting and/or nocturnal enuresis after following advice from the health visitor or school nurse, they may benefit from a referral to the specialist paediatric continence service. This can be made by your health visitor ,school nurse or GP.

The specialist offer 

Some children require specialist assessment of their continence problems and should be referred to the Paediatric Continence service. After referral, you may be invited to group parent information session at which you will be provided with advice and information about your child’s condition including practical advice that you should start prior to initial assessment in the clinic.

After attending the group session your child will be invited for initial assessment (usually at the City of Coventry Health Centre). During the initial assessment, treatment options will be discussed and a treatment plan formulated. Follow up appointments will review and adjust the treatment plan.

All treatment plans require support from parents and carers and the child needs to be motivated to resolve the problem for treatment to be effective.

In some cases support from school may be required, this may include encouraging children to drink during the day allowing access to the toilet during lessons and continence management plan may need to be written.



024 7696 1416

close result
View full details of Podiatry



The Podiatry Service provides a specialist role in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of people of any age that have a foot problem combined with an underlying medical condition that may put their foot health and mobility at risk.

They provide treatment of skin and toe nail pathology, nail surgery procedures, management of foot and ankle musculoskeletal problems with provision of orthoses (a brace, splint, or other artificial external device serving to support the limbs or spine) and injection therapy and wound care with debridement (medical removal of dead, damaged, or infected tissue to improve the healing ) for foot ulcerations.

Home visits are provided for bed bound patients.

You can access this service if you have a GP in Coventry.

Your GP or health professional will need to submit a referral on your behalf. 

For more information, please visit the CWPT Podiatry Website 


02476 961335

close result
View full details of School Aged Immunisation and Vaccination Service


The CWPT School Aged Immunisation and Vaccination Service is commissioned by Public Health England to deliver routine scheduled vaccinations to children and young people aged between Rising 5 to 18 years of age.

The service is commissioned to work in all mainstream, special and independent schools.

The team’s deliver:

  • Nasal flu vaccine to primary aged school children in year’s reception to Year 5, with year 6 pupils being done in some identified special schools. This programme runs routinely from October to December, but children can still be vaccinated after these dates if required.
  • HumanPapiloma Virus (HPV) is routinely offered to girls only in 2 doses:
    • Dose 1 to girls in year 8
    • Dose 2 to girls in year 9
  • Diphtheria/tetanus/polio (Dt/IPV) and Meningitis ACWY is offered to boys and girls in year 9 

All vaccines sessions are initially offered in the school setting, but there are also regular clinics that children and young people can attend if they have missed the opportunity to be vaccinated in school or if they have extra requirements where more support is required.

Within the Vaccination Teams there are staff with specialist skills who can help and support children and young people who may struggle with receiving vaccinations.

Prior to the teams visiting the schools, CWPT will offer an immunisation pack to take home to parents/carers for all the children and young people that are offered vaccination. This pack will contain a letter from the immunisation team, a leaflet from the Department of Health about the vaccines and a consent form for the parent to complete and return to school.

For more information please visit the CWPT School Aged Immunisation and Vaccination Service website 

close result
View full details of Sexual Health


Integrated Sexual Health Service

The Integrated Sexual Health Service can help you with care and advice on sexually transmitted infections and contraception in Coventry.

All services are completely free and confidential, including for under 16s.

Services offered include clinic based appointments and drop in, outreach services out in the community and fully comprehensive HIV care.

For more information, visit the Integrated Sexual Health Service website


BeSavvy is an online resource provided by Coventry City Council that supports young people and parents on relationship and sexual health advice. The website content includes important information relating to a wide range of subjects, a directory of services in the Coventry area and resources for sexual health professionals.

Be Savvy website

close result
View full details of Understanding Health Services


Services to keep you healthy and well

  • Pharmacists
  • School Nurses
  • Health Visitors
  • GPs
  • Specialist nurses for children who are looked after

Services who will see you quickly if you are very unwell or have had an accident

  • An accident and emergency department such as University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire
  • A walk in centre such as Coventry City Health Centre
  • An urgent appointment at your GP surgery

Services for children and young people with specific illnesses and conditions or a difficulty/concern.

You may be referred to a service by a professional such as your GP or health visitor or you may be able to refer yourself

  • Hospital Specialists
  • Community children’s doctor (paediatricians)
  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Dieticians
  • Mental Health Services
  • Learning Disability Services
  • Neuro-disability Services
  • Community Children’s Nurses

Working together for children with additional needs

Health professionals working with a child or young person share information to make sure they are working together. They should let you know how they do this.

Sometimes sharing information must be done – for example a Paediatrician or a physiotherapist will want to know the outcome of a hospital test such as an x-ray or scan so they can make sure they are doing the right thing for the child or young person. Sometimes this is routine; like when a learning disability specialist copies a letter to the GP so the GP has a full understanding of what is happening for that child or young person.

There are times when information has to be shared immediately, such as when there is a concern about a child or young person’s safety.

Working together for children and young people having an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment.

When an education, health and care needs assessment is requested for a child or young person, it is discussed with a group called a panel. The panel will talk about if they need any advice from health professionals. This information is used to help make a decision about if a child or young person needs an Education, Health and Care Plan and to make sure that the child or young person is known to the right specialists.

If a health service is asked to provide advice to support an education, health and care assessment they must provide the information within 6 weeks. They may do this be sending a letter or report from the last time they saw they child. They may do this by providing a triage phone call where they can find out if a child needs a specialist assessment and what advice will be helpful whilst they wait for this. They may do this by seeing the child and their family and then writing a report letter.

EHCP: Special Educational Need or Health Need?

If the child or young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), the advice and provision from a health professional may be classed as either a special educational need or a health need.

If it is described as a special educational need, this means that the child or young person needs the EHCP so that they can access the curriculum / learning opportunities.

If it is described as a health need, the child or young person keep the child/young person healthy and as well as possible. Some provision will be in both parts of a plan. For example a speech and language therapist may see a child in school to practice/develop specific speech skills. They may also see a child at home to talk about swallowing and safety around eating and drinking.

Specific health services

close result

Didn't find what you were looking for? Search again, or add a group, activity or organisation to our listings.

Coventry SEND

Is there anything wrong with this page?