Bin lorry driver strike action

Bin lorry drivers are on strike over a number of days. We apologise but this is out of our control. We are continuing to try and find a resolution that will get drivers back on the streets.

Read the latest update

Learning difficulties (16-25 years old)

Coventry SEND Local Offer

In this section you can find a variety of information about education in Coventry and the kinds of educational support that is available for young people with Special Education Needs and Disabilities over the age of 16.

You can find information here about what is ordinarily available for all pupils as well as further education options that are available for young people.

Find out about:

View full details of Looked After Children - The Virtual School


Looked After Children are young people whose care provision is the responsibility of a local authority.

The Virtual School makes sure that there is educational provision for Looked After Children, regardless where they are placed. We are asked to do "all that a good parent would" by encouraging and supporting Look After Children's educational, social and emotional development.

The Virtual School monitor their pupils' education by supporting Personal Education Planning (PEP) meetings. Support for Looked After Children is implemented via the educational provider. Since April 2018, The Virtual School has also offered support & advice to pupils who hold the status  'Previously Looked After'.


024 7683 4162

close result
View full details of Ordinarily Available Provision for children and young people without an EHC plan


Not all children and young people with SEND have or want to have an Education Health and Care Plan. In this case, it is important to know the educational provision that is available without one of these plans.

Find out about the education provision that children and young people can expect to access in the three main stages of education when they don't have an EHCP.


close result
View full details of Post 16 Education - Sixth Form and College


At the age of 16, a young person can make a choice about whether to continue in education, employment or training.

Some schools offer sixth forms so that a young person can stay in school; however this depends on which school the young person attends. Individual schools and the Prospects Careers advisers will be able to provide more information about this.

A young person could also apply to sixth form college, 16-19 academies, specialist post 16 institutions or vocational training providers in the voluntary or public sector.

The range of study programmes is broad and includes A Levels, vocational qualifications at all levels, apprenticeships, traineeships, supported internships.

View a list of schools and their websites

Further Education

Further education (often abbreviated to FE) covers the type of education which goes beyond compulsory education (ages 5-16), but which is not at degree level (higher education). It may be at the same level, at a higher level, or at a lower level than secondary education.

There is a range of colleges in Coventry. The Prospects Careers advisers will be able to give more information +about these or you can contact the colleges directly to ask for information about courses and the support they offer.

School 6th Form and Further Education Colleges 

The majority of schools in Coventry offer 6th form provision, for more details see the individual school websites.

There are 2 colleges in Coventry – Coventry College and Hereward. They both offer a wide variety of courses and support arrangements. There are also several colleges in the areas surrounding Coventry that Coventry young people can access.

Hereward is a much smaller college, with smaller class sizes, than Coventry College.  All students at Hereward have an Education Health and Care Plan. Hereward offers a range of study programmes that relate to sport, business, computing, performing arts, music and visual arts.

Colleges outside of Coventry that might be of interest are: Warwickshire College Group, NWH College, and Solihull College.

Level 1 and above course usually require students to have GCSE level qualifications. 

All colleges also offer general supported learning programmes. These allow students to continue to develop their basic skills in English, Maths and ICT.  Students can also access personal development opportunities and do taster/foundation courses in a range of vocational areas available at the college.


Coventry College

This college offers full and part time courses and Apprenticeships

Hereward College

Hereward offers a range of full time courses and supported internships. The majority of applicants will need to have an Education Health and Care Plan.

Warwickshire College Group

Leamington Spa, Moreton Morell, Rugby Campus, Pershore, Warwick Trident Centre, Evesham and Malvern Hills.  

Offers full and part-time courses and Apprenticeships.

North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College

North Warwickshire and Hinckley College offer full and part-time courses and Apprenticeships.

Solihull College

Full and part-time courses and apprenticeships

Stratford upon Avon College

Stratford upon Avon College offers full and part time courses and apprenticeships

close result
View full details of SENCOs - Special Education Needs Coordinators


Who are SENCOs?

SENCOs are Special Educational Needs Coordinators. It is a legal requirement for every school to have a designated SENCo in place. This person has to be a qualified teacher and must have completed the National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination.

What do they do?

The SENCo identifies the children and young people who are on the schools SEND (Special educational needs) register. They monitor the  progress of the children and young people on the SEND register and usually co-ordinate the interventions for these individuals. The SENCOs liaise with and refer to specialist outside agencies to ensure that children and young people have the support that they require. The SENCO is responsible for all children and young people with Education Health and Care Plans and their annual and interim reviews. They will also write requests for Education Health and Care plans, although these can be requested by anyone, not just educational professionals.

Who do they work with?

SENCOs work with external professionals including health care, social care and educational professionals. These professionals include, but are not limited to, speech and language therapists, CAMHS (Rise) professionals, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Educational Psychologists, Doctors/Nurses, Social Workers, Mental Health Nurses, Sensory Support and Coventry SENDIASS. The SENCo also has a link SEN officer who works for the local authority.

How does a parent or carer get in touch with a SENCo?

The best way to get in touch with the school SENCO is to speak to the school reception team. They who will know who  the school SENCO and will be able to direct you to that person.

close result

Didn't find what you were looking for? Search again, or add a group, activity or organisation to our listings.

Coventry SEND

Is there anything wrong with this page?