Bin lorry driver strike action

Bin lorry drivers are on strike over a number of days. We apologise but this is out of our control. We are continuing to try and find a resolution that will get drivers back on the streets.

Read the latest update

Social care (16-25 years old)

Social care support for 16-25 year olds.

Find out about:

View full details of Short Breaks


A short break gives children and young people who have a disability the opportunity to join in with an enjoyable activity  away from their parents/ carers.  Short breaks allow children and young people to take part in activities, make friends, develop independence skills and have fun. Short breaks also provide parents / carers a break from caring responsibilities.

close result
View full details of Adult Social Care - Carer's Assessment


What is a Carer's Assessment?

A Carer's Assessment is a good way of talking to someone about your caring role and the impact that this may have on you.  It should help you think about the support out there that can help you.  It is also the opportunity to say whether there are elements of your caring role you can no longer do.

Anyone providing unpaid care for another adult can receive a Carer's Assessment, it doesn’t matter if the person you are caring for hasn’t had their own assessment or if they are receiving support.  It can also be a good opportunity to talk to someone if you’re thinking about taking on a caring role and want to know more about the support that is available.

If your child or the person you care for already has a social worker or an allocated worker, this worker may talk to you about “combining assessments”.  This means that your needs are explored as part of your child’s assessment however you can ask for a separate assessment to be carried out. 

The assessment should look at the things you want to achieve, the impact caring is having on you, your health and emotional wellbeing. It should help you look at aspects of your life you may be experiencing difficulty with, such as looking after the house, eating well, having the time to do things important to you and the impact it may have on working or education.   The assessment should also help you plan for emergencies and plan for the future.

To find out more about visit the Carer's Assessment website

close result
View full details of Adult Social Care - Needs and Wellbeing Assessment


If you or the person you care for are approaching 18 and may still continue to need care and support after age 18, then you can request a needs assessment.  Sometimes a young person's school or social worker will discuss this with the young person and help make the referral.

The Care and Support journey.

Needs and Wellbeing Assessment

The assessment can look at both the young person's needs and the parent/carer needs. We call this a Needs and Wellbeing Assessment in Coventry.

The assessment will look at the following:

  • Your strengths, interests and what you want to achieve.
  • What you are finding difficult and how this affects your day to day life.
  • Looking after yourself (washing, dressing, meals, shopping, looking after the house)
  • The things that are important to you, keeping in touch with friends and family, working, getting out and about.
  • Your health and how it affects you, including medication, visits to the GP or hospital.
  • That’s already working well and the support around you.

If you struggle to be involved in the assessment we will ask you who you want to support you.  If you haven’t got anyone who can support you with the assessment and you might struggle to answer the questions we will make a referral for a Care Act Advocate.


Once we know about your needs and the support you require, we will discuss with you whether we can provide support or whether there are other services that may be able to help.  This is sometimes known as eligibility, there are national guidelines which we use to look at this.


For more information, please visit the Assessments, eligibility and support planning website

close result
View full details of Adult Social Care - Paying for Care


Adult Social Care - Paying for Care 

Care services are free for children, but adults have to pay towards the cost of some services.  You can find out more about this on our paying for care pages. If you are receiving a package of support and your income changes such as; you stop being entitled to child benefit and start claiming Universal Credit, you need to inform the council of any changes as this is likely to impact on your assessed charge.


For more information please visit the Paying for care and support and accessing financial advice website


close result
View full details of Adult Social Care and All Age Disability Service - Adults Team


Adult Social Care is an umbrella term for a wide range of services that are available to qualifying people across Coventry over the age of 18. For more information about the complete Adult Social Care Offer in Coventry and the local area, please refer to the Adult Social Care Directory.

Within Social Care, sits the All Age Disability Service. The All Age Disability Service works alongside people with disabilities of all ages and their carers to support their personal, social care and health outcomes. The adults team within the service provides support to adults aged 18+ with a lifelong disability, such as learning disabilities, physical disabilities or an acquired disability.

Some children with disabilities may require social care support as an adult. In these circumstances, a child can be referred to the adult’s team via the child’s school, their parent or by the Children’s Disability Team if they are already receiving support from them. From there, an assessment under the Care Act (2014) will take place. The assessment will focus on the young person’s eligible needs once they become an adult. Read about the assessment process for adult social care support.

The service covers the entire city. Any adult, aged 18+ with a disability who thinks they have care and support needs can refer themselves to the service or a family member can contact the service on their behalf. The team can also receive referrals from other professionals, such as GP’s. The team communicates with individuals during their assessment, review or completion of a support plan; and overall by conferences, awareness raising events and for younger people and their carers - participation on SEN implementation groups.

For people aged 18 and over who receive support from adult social care they can get involved in the Adult Social Care Stakeholder Reference Group.

Our offices are fully accessible however we normally visit people in their own homes.

There are several associated services that you can find out more about on this site:

close result
View full details of Adult Social Care – Visual and Hearing Impairment Team


What is a visual impairment?

A visual impairment is when a person has sight loss that cannot be corrected using glasses or contact lenses.
The Visual & Hearing Impairment Team is part of the Therapy Service within Coventry City Council.

We are a team of Rehabilitation Workers who work with people who are:

  • Deaf, deafened or hard of hearing
  • Visually impaired
  • Dual sensory loss (both sight and hearing loss)

Our main role is to promote independent living.

The service covers the entire city. Any adult or young person going through the transitions process with a visual impairment, hearing loss or dual sensory loss who thinks they have care and support needs can refer themselves to the service or a family member can contact us on their behalf can access the service.

The team can also receive referrals from other professionals, such as GPs. We communicate with individuals during their assessment, review or completion of a support plan. 

close result
View full details of Children's Disability Team, Children's Social Care and the All Age Disability Team 


All Age Disability Service works alongside people with disabilities of all ages and their carers to support their personal, social care and health outcomes.

The Children's Disability Team within the service provide support to children and young people up to age 18 with a lifelong disability, such as learning disabilities, physical disabilities or an acquired disability. Children's Services are committed to support these children’s rights and help them reach their full potential.

Coventry Children’s Services have a specialist Children’s Disability Team (CDT), which works closely with Adult Social Care to ensure transitions to adulthood are well supported and planned. Children’s Disability Team helps children, young people, their families and other carers. Children’s Disability Team main work is with children who have severe learning and/or physical disabilities, and children within the autistic spectrum. The team also works with children with sensory needs. Disabled children are supported by mainstream and specialist services.

Disabled children can be referred to the Children's Disability Team via the MASH in if they are 0-18. To meet the criteria, the child will need to be diagnosed to have one or more of the following:

  • Permanent and substantial physical disability
  • Significant learning disability
  • a significant sensory impairment
  • a chronic and serious health problem

What can the Children's Disability Team do to help?

The Children's Disability Team work with children, young people and their families to arrange and set up individual care and support packages. These can include personal care in the home, short breaks, practical support, residential services and other respite options. Children's Disability Team social workers are skilled and have expertise in communicating with children who are non-verbal. Creative direct work is planned and supported by other specialist services to ensure that the voice of the child is the centre of planning and decision-making.

How can you access the service?

Request for a service can be made by a professional and/or parent themselves by contacting the MASH.
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 024 7678 8555

A Social work Team Manager will whether consider an assessment may be required, either a Carer’s Assessment or Children and Families Assessment. These are the steps to this process:

  1. A Child and Family Assessment (C&F) is requested by a professional via a Multi-Agency Referral Form (MARF)
  2. The MARF is sent to the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH). 
  3. 3. If the Child and Family Assessment (C&F) identifies that the child needs an additional service, then support is offered via a Child In Need Plan. If a child is at risk of significant harm, agencies will assess the level of harm and identify any action needed to protect the child.

In the following situations, the Children’s Disability team will deliver the service:

  • The primary reason for the involvement of social care services is a disability 
  • The impact of the disability on the child or family is severe; and
  • The disability requires a service that is specialist.

In all other cases the area social work team will provide the service.

What is a Carer’s Assessment?

Parent carers who look after a disabled child, and young carers can have an assessment under the Children and Families Act. This assessment can help determine if you are eligible for additional support. An assessment means collecting information about you and your life and talking with you about the difficulties you have and how they affect your wellbeing. This helps us all to understand your situation, what your needs are and how to plan for the future. It is a very important process and should not just be seen as a way to get care and support services; sometimes there other ways to help you and often just having the time to consider your situation can be very helpful for a carer. 

When a child needs support that cannot be delivered by the Early Help offer alone, a Child and Family Assessment is completed by Social Care.

What is a Children and Families Assessment?

A Child and Family (C&F) Assessment addresses the central and most important aspects of the needs of a child / young person, and the capacity of his or her parents or caregivers to respond appropriately to these needs within the wider family and community context. The conclusion of the assessment should provide analysis of the findings leading to a clear understanding of need that will facilitate care planning and inform service provision. C&F Assessments should contain input from other professionals and make use of additional assessment tools such as scales and questionnaires.

If an assessment is required, the child(ren) will be allocated a Social worker within the Children’s Disability Team for this assessment to commence. This assessment establishes what the needs of the child(ren) and family are and how they can be met.

close result
View full details of Local Organisation - Enabling Spaces


Enabling Spaces CIS is targeted specialist support for people aged 18+ living with hoarding behaviours to prevent or delay social care and health need.

For more information please visit the Enabling Spaces CIS website 

close result
View full details of Support - Young Carers


Young carers are young people who help care for a family member who is disabled, physically or mentally ill, has a long term serious illness or has a substance misuse problem.

This is a role that many young people are happy and proud to do. However, inappropriate or excessive levels of caring can put their education, training or health at risk, and may prevent them from enjoying their childhood.

A young carer is a child or young person under 18 and a young adult carer is aged 18 - 25.

For more information about young carers and the support available to them, please visit the Coventry City Council Young Carers website

close result

Didn't find what you were looking for? Search again, or add a group, activity or organisation to our listings.

Coventry SEND

Is there anything wrong with this page?