Applying for building regulations
Works requiring building regulations
The following building works need a Building Regulations application to be made. This is not a full list, so please contact us if you are not sure.
- The erection of a new building or the extension of an existing building.
- Structural alterations to an existing building.
- Alterations which may affect the means of escape in case of fire.
- Changing the use of an existing building.
- The extension or alteration of certain services and fittings.
- Since 1 January 2005, most electrical work is also included.
- Since April 2006 renovating or replacing a wall, floor or roof has also fallen under the building regulations.
- Changes to a building's energy status now also needs building regulations. This might happen where a previously unheated space is being heated or where air conditioning is being installed.