Control and advice

If you are carrying out demolition works in Coventry, check below to see if you need our permission.

Do I need permission?

Not all demolition work needs a demolition notice to be submitted to the Council.

A demolition notice need not be served:

  • for the demolition of the internal part of a building, where the building is occupied and it is intended that it continues to be occupied.
  • where the external volume is not greater that 50m³.
  • if the building is a greenhouse, shed, conservatory or prefabricated garage.
  • if the building is an agricultural building (as defined by section 26 of the General Rate Act 1967), unless it is against a building that is itself not an agricultural building.

Anyone planning to demolish a building that is not in the above group must notify the Council's Building Control.

What happens after we've received your notice?

Once we have received the demolition works notice and site plan with the site outlined in red, we will set out the steps to be followed to make sure the building is demolished in a safe and satisfactory manner.

These may include: 

  • shoring up (support) neighbouring buildings
  • weatherproofing areas of neighbouring buildings exposed by the demolition
  • repairing or making good damage caused to neighbouring buildings by the demolition
  • removing rubbish and clearing the site
  • the disconnection, sealing or removal of any drainage under the building
  • making arrangements to disconnect water, gas and electricity supplies
  • informing the local fire authority if buildings or materials are to be burnt on site
  • making sure the site is properly fenced or otherwise protected to prevent danger to those on or near the site.

Who will be informed of the demolition?

Various individuals and organisations should be told about the demolition works: 

  • Owners of premises neighbouring the site. 
  • Gas provider
  • Electricity provider
  • Severn Trent Water
  • Fire Safety Officer 
  • The Environment Agency
  • The Health and Safety Executive
  • The Council's Planning department.

Other consent required

In some cases, depending on the type of building being demolished or the area it is in, consent may be needed under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and Town and Country Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990, if:

  • the building is a listed building, 
  • it is within a conservation area, 
  • the building is a dwelling house or is a building adjoining a dwelling house and certain other buildings where the volume exceeds 50m³.

Trees on the site may be protected by a tree preservation order and conditions on a planning permission may restrict the burning of rubbish.

Bats and the demolition of buildings

Bats, a protected species in the UK and across Europe, use buildings/bridges for roosting. The Bat Conservation Trust has provided a link to PDF documents which should be read so you are aware of how any demolition works affect them and the procedures to follow to minimise disturbance to these animals during works.


The Council can recover any expenses it has to meet.  The initial fee of £110 is to be sent with the application, this fee may be reassessed depending on the size and complexity of the site.

Building control

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7683 2057

One Friargate

Is there anything wrong with this page?