We operate a bus lane enforcement scheme to improve public transport reliability, journey times and to encourage sustainable travel. Bus lane signs and markings clearly indicate both the start and end of bus lanes and highlight the hours of operation. If there are no times indicated, then the bus lane is in operation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
When signed the only exemptions are;
- a pedal cycle
- a bus
- wheelchair accessible taxis
- an emergency services vehicle when responding to an emergency
Bus lane enforcement
- The enforcement of bus lanes is carried out by Fixed Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras which record all vehicles using the bus lanes.
- After identifying those vehicles that are not allowed to use the bus lanes an evidence pack is assembled and a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) is issued by post from Coventry City Council to the registered owner/hirer of the vehicle in contravention of the regulations.
- For a bus lane contravention the charge is £60, reduced by 50% to £30 if paid within 14 days of the Date of Service.
- If the PCN remains unpaid within 28 days this charge is increased to £90.
- If you believe that the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) you received should not have been issued you can challenge the penalty charge notice
Further information regarding bus lane enforcement.
Bus gate locations
- Gosford Street
- Sky Blue Way
- Stoney Road
- Tile Hill Lane
- Warwick Road
- Whittle Arch
Quinton Road/Park Road which is currently suspended due to the building work around the station.
Bus gates at Park Road, Gosford Street and Warwick Road
If you were fined for using any of the three bus gates between 10 December 2015 and 21 April 2016, you can claim a refund by writing to us.
Please email [email protected] or write to Parking Services Team, PO Box 3943, Coventry, CV1 9AF. Please include your name, address, registration number or PCN number, and how you paid your fine.
Bus lane suspensions
Coventry City Council has suspended a number of bus lanes in the city.
All bus lanes in Coventry operate 24 hours a day.
The bus lanes that are suspended are:
- Herald Avenue (right onto A45)
- Kirby Corner Road / Sir Henry Parkes Road
- Radford Road (inbound)
- The Butts (inbound)
Bus Lanes permanently removed/revoked
- Ansty Road outbound at Clifford Bridge Road
- Ansty Rd inbound at Burns Road
- Binley Road
- Foleshill Road/Old Church Road (inbound 95m and outbound 125m)
- Foleshill Road (Broad Street to Junction 1 (Inbound and from Matlock Road outbound)
- Holbrook Lane outbound
- Lockhurst Lane (inbound)
- London Road outbound St James Lane
- Tile Hill Gyratory
Code of Practice for CCTV and Bus Lane Enforcement
Protocol for Use of Bodycams