Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Vehicle access - dropped kerbs

Illegal crossings

A crossing is deemed to be illegal where it is either:

  • Of unknown construction (constructed without our consent); or
  • Not constructed (residents driving over existing pavement);

We can take action within the Highways Act 1980 to:

  • Contact the residents and ask them to apply for an authorised crossing;
  • Contact the residents and ask them to apply for an authorised crossing or stop crossing the pavement with a vehicle;
  • Construct a crossing on behalf (i.e. in default) of a resident and recharge for this service. This will only take place as a last resort where residents refuse to comply with our requests to address an illegal crossing issue;
  • Impose conditions restricting the use of a footway/verge as a crossing.

Where residents refuse to pay for any crossing we construct, we will seek recovery of monies through legal action.

If you would like to report an illegal crossing, please contact us on the details provided below.

Customer Services

Open 9am–5pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)


Tel: 08085 834333


If you do need to call us,
please try to avoid our busiest times
of lunchtime and early afternoon.

Is there anything wrong with this page?