Vehicle access - dropped kerbs
A crossing is deemed to be illegal where it is either:
- Of unknown construction (constructed without our consent); or
- Not constructed (residents driving over existing pavement);
We can take action within the Highways Act 1980 to:
- Contact the residents and ask them to apply for an authorised crossing;
- Contact the residents and ask them to apply for an authorised crossing or stop crossing the pavement with a vehicle;
- Construct a crossing on behalf (i.e. in default) of a resident and recharge for this service. This will only take place as a last resort where residents refuse to comply with our requests to address an illegal crossing issue;
- Impose conditions restricting the use of a footway/verge as a crossing.
Where residents refuse to pay for any crossing we construct, we will seek recovery of monies through legal action.
If you would like to report an illegal crossing, please contact us on the details provided below.