Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


Freedom of the City of Coventry

Pages in Freedom of the City of Coventry

  1. Freedom of the City of Coventry
  1. Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

What privileges do Freemen have?

A small pension upon reaching pensionable age, from the Coventry Freemen's Charity, for needy Freemen of the City and their dependants, and the widows and widowers of dead Freemen who live in the city.

Preference to applications from suitably qualified Freeman to a scheme known as General Charities. No one Freeman has a right to loan or grants, and decisions rest with the Trustees of the City.  Typically the charity provides for people in need, hardship or distress; interest free loans; financial assistance for education; and a pension for poorer people.

Who are the Freemen of the City of Coventry?

A register of the names of all the Freemen of the City of Coventry is held by the Council. It is kept in the Lord Mayor's Office, and can be seen by anyone - to make an appointment please call the Lord Mayor's secretary.

Am I eligible to become a Freeman of the City of Coventry?

The West Midlands County Council Act 1980 states that to qualify for the Freedom of the City you must have completed an apprenticeship under an enrolled Deed:

  • for a company whose address is within 4.5 miles of St Mary's Guildhall or 
  • within the City boundary and
  • that was at least a five year apprenticeship or
  • if less than five years, has been supplemented by work in the same trade to which you were apprenticed, to make up a total of five years (it does not matter if you changed your employer or if there was a gap between your apprenticeship and your additional work).

How do I apply to become a Freeman of the City of Coventry?

If you think you qualify please complete an application form and return a signed copy to Lord Mayor's Office.

Lord Mayor's office


Tel: 024 7697 5414

Council House
Earl Street

Is there anything wrong with this page?