The Coventry Award of Merit
Pages in The Coventry Award of Merit
- The Coventry Award of Merit
- Mr Stanley Ashby, Godiva Harriers' official and former Olympic runner
- Sir Donald Gibson, first Coventry Architect and Planning Officer
- Professor J W Linnett FRS, Professor of Physical Chemistry at Cambridge University
- Miss M R Paton MBE, Superintendent, St Faith's Shelter, Coventry City Council
- Air Commodore Sir Frank Whittle KBE, Inventor of the jet engine.
- Mr Derrick H Robins, former President, Coventry City Football Club
- Sir Basil Spence OBE, architect and designer of Coventry Cathedral
- Sir William Lyons, President, Jaguar Cars-British Leyland UK Ltd
- Dr H Parry Williams, former Consultant Child Specialist, Coventry Hospital Group
- Mrs A L Galpine JP, former Chairman of Coventry Magistrates' Court and Coventry Juvenile Court
- Rt Revd Cuthbert Bardlsey CBE, Bishop of Coventry from 1956 to 1976
- Professor Joan Browne CBE, JP - Principal, Coventry College of Education 1948 to 1975
- Mr Jack Jones MBE, General Secretary, Transport and General Workers' Union
- Mr Phillip Larkin CBE, Poet and Librarian of the University of Hull
- Mr Walter Chinn OBE, Director of Education for Coventry from 1947 to 1969
- Sir Stanley Harley DL, industrialist, Managing Director, Coventry Gauge and ~Tool Ltd
- Sir John Egan, Chairman of Jaguar Cars Limited
- Professor Sir Brian Follett FRS, Vice-Chancellor, University of Warwick
- Reveend Canon Nerissa Jones MBE, Vicar of St Chad's Church, Wood End
- Reverend Canon Dr Paul Oestreicher, Peace and Reconciliation, Coventry Cathedral
- Right Honourable Sir Philip Otton, Lord Justice of Appeal
- Councillor Tom White CBE, first Director of Social Services in the UK
- Gary Croshaw for services to West Midlands Police Special Constabulary
- Joe Elliott for services to Coventry City Football Club, sports and charity
- Professor Sudhesh Kumar for services to medical research and treatment of diabetes
- David Moorcroft OBE for services to athletics
- John Mutton for services to the International Children's Games
- Les Ratcliffe for services to the motor industry
The 2014 Coventry Award of Merit ceremony was held in St Mary's Guildhall and those who received the Award were:
Right Honourable Bob Ainsworth MP
For outstanding public service to Coventry and its citizens as a former Deputy Leader of the Council from 1989 to 1992, as a Member of Parliament for Coventry North East for 22 years and as a Minister of the Crown for 13 years in Her Majesty's Government, including serving as Secretary of State for Defence.
Professor Madeleine Atkins DL CBE
For outstanding achievement in academic life, and her contribution to the development of Coventry University during her years as Vice Chancellor, including improving the University's reputation as a place of national and international learning.
Professor Lord Kumar Bhattacharyya KB CBE
For outstanding personal achievement as the founder of Warwick Manufacturing Group, raising the status of engineering and manufacturing in the UK and for his service to the promotion of the University of Warwick and the city of Coventry.
Coventry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre
For providing a specialist high quality rape and sexual violence counselling support service to the people of Coventry, with compassion and dignity, to almost 5,000 women, men and children every year.
Mr Courtenay Griffiths QC
For outstanding achievement in the legal profession, including appearing as an advocate in the International War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague.
Councillor Tim Sawdon
For outstanding contribution to the city of Coventry during 40 years on the Council, including his year as Lord Mayor in 2012, the year the Olympics came to Coventry; serving as a former Chair of the Housing Committee; as Leader of the Conservative Group; Leader of the Opposition; and as Cabinet Member for Culture, Leisure and Libraries.
Dr Abdullah Shehu FRCP
For outstanding personal achievement in the field of medical research, including outstanding care for patients with profound neurological illness and injuries and representing the Muslim community of the city and for his contribution towards community cohesion.