COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and focusing on the most critical. This means some services may be affected. For help, call 08085 834333.

Read our latest update

Secondary school admissions

Questions and answers - Starting secondary school

Can I apply for a school place online?

An online application form is available at There are supplementary forms for applicants applying for Blue Coat Church of England School and the Seva School. However, these must be returned to the preferred school directly in paper format.

How can I find out more about a particular secondary school?

You will find some basic information in the Secondary 2020 booklet. You can also;

  • Visit the school website for the school which you are interested in to view a copy of their prospectus, which will give you more details about the school. See our school contact details.
  • Contact the school and talk to the head teacher
  • Visit where details of OFSTED inspections can be found for all schools in the UK

If my child attends Seva Primary School do we have to apply for a place for Year 7 at Seva Secondary?

The Seva School is an all through school. If your child currently attends the primary school and you wish your child to continue at Seva Secondary then you do not need to make an application. If you wish for your child to attend a different Secondary School you will need to make an application.

How do I find out which my catchment area school is and how far away I live from my preferred school?

Have a look at the information regarding catchment areas (which is not always your nearest school). If you require details about the distance from your address to a school, please e-mail [email protected]

My nephew didn’t get a place at Finham Park 2 even though he lives less than a mile from the school. Why is this?

In the admissions policy for Finham Park 2 they only allow for a limited number of applicants who live under a mile from the school so that they can ensure that the school contains a mix of children from a wider geographical area. Please check the policy for details.

Can I write to support my application?

Yes. You have the legal right to explain your reasons for wanting a particular school, including philosophical or religious reasons. However, these reasons will only be taken into account if they are directly linked to the admissions criteria for the schools you have listed on your application. If you are applying for Eden Girls School, Coventry under exceptional medical/social grounds, you should provide supporting evidence direct to the school.

What address should I use on my application form?

You should use your current permanent address (where you are living at the time you complete your application), and include the council tax property number for that address. Please make sure that the address and postcode you give us is correct, because we may use them to see whether you qualify under a particular admissions criterion. We regularly check addresses, including arranging visits from children and family support workers, and if details are not correct we will withdraw the offer of a school place. For example, it is not valid to state the address of a childminder, grandparent or any other relation.

A pupil’s home address is considered to be a residential property that is the child’s only or main residence. At the time places are allocated, proof of permanent residence at the property concerned may be required. Where documentary evidence can substantiate to the satisfaction of the Local Authority that care is split equally between parents at two homes, school admission policies will detail how they will access which address will be considered.

I know which school I want my child to go to. Why should I request other schools?

If you only list one school you cannot be certain that your child will be offered a place there, and if you are unsuccessful we then allocate the nearest school with a place available. Many schools are full after the offers of places were sent out in March 2020. If you want to find out which schools have places available then please contact the school admissions team on 02476975445.

How do I make an application for WMG Academy?

The WMG Academy admits pupils aged 14 -19 (transfer at year 10). All parent(s)/carer(s), whether they live in Coventry or elsewhere, should apply for a place at the Academy by making an application via Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council. The Secondary 2020 booklet has further information on the school and the process for applications

What can I do if I don’t get the place I want?

Your allocation letter will explain the reasons why it was not possible to offer you a place at your preferred school and the process for appealing against this decision. Your child’s name will also be included on a waiting list(s), which means that we will consider your child for any places that become available. There is no guarantee however, that a place will become available or that you will get one if it does.

Being on a waiting list for one school does not prevent you from applying for others. For all schools in Coventry, places that become available after 2 March 2020 allocation will be offered by applying the admissions criteria to everyone on the waiting list. For the September 2019 admissions process, oversubscribed schools offered on average 5 places to those on waiting lists. You have the right to appeal against all refusals in regards to secondary school admissions. This means that you have a chance to put your case to an independent appeal panel made up of people who have had no connection at all with the original decision. Going through the appeals process does not guarantee you a place at the school you are appealing for and does not affect your position on any waiting lists for other schools. For the 2019 entry, 158 appeals were heard with 25 appeals allowed which is just over 16%.

How do I get onto the waiting list for a school?

If you are not offered a place at a school you placed as a higher preference to one you have been allocated, then you will automatically be placed on a waiting list for that school/those schools. This will continue until a place can be offered to you, or until the end of the Autumn Term 2020. After this date, if you wish to remain on the waiting list you may need to re-register your interest in your preferred school with the Admissions Team or the school. Please check the individual schools details in Section 2 of the Admissions booklet and/or the schools policies for details of their respective arrangements.

If places become available and there are more children on the waiting list than places, how are the available places allocated?

If there are more children on the list than there are places available we will allocate the places to those who best meet the schools admissions criteria. This will include any late applications. We will use the individual schools criteria as highlighted in their school admissions policies.

Can I find out where I am on the waiting list for a particular school?

Yes. By contacting the admissions team, staff will be able to inform you of the position you hold on the list. It is important to remember that you can move up or down this list depending on whether other children come onto or go off the list. For this reason we can only guarantee the position of your child on the list on the date of communication.

My child already attends the school I want my younger child to go to but they will be in year 12 in September (sixth form) will they still count as a sibling at the school?

Some schools admissions policies only take account of siblings of compulsory school age i.e. 16, so older siblings who will attend years 12 or 13 from September 2020 will not be counted. Schools who accept sibling links with Sixth form are as follows;
• Barr’s Hill School
• Bishop Ullathorne Catholic School
• Cardinal Newman Catholic School
• Cardinal Wiseman Catholic School
• Coventry Blue Coat School and Music College
• Eden Girls School, Coventry (also accept applications from siblings of former Year 11 students)
• Sidney Stringer Academy

Policies can be found at

How do I find out if I am eligible for help with transport?

The Local Authority can offer assistance for travelling to school, but only for those fitting the qualifying distance and other entitlement criteria. Pupils applying for assistance with travel must live within the Coventry boundary and be of statutory school age i.e. 5–16 years of age. Secondary pupils may be eligible for a bus pass if the distance from their home address to their nearest school at which places are available is in excess of three miles, or two miles under low income rules. In each case this is measured by the nearest available walking route between the home address and the school.

More information can be found in the Secondary Admissions booklet in Section 4 or at:

You can apply online via

Can I apply for a place at a secondary school in another Local Authority area?

Yes. If you are a Coventry resident you can apply for a school place in another authority by completing Coventry’s application. You do not need to complete an application form in that authority as well.

What do I do if I am a member of UK armed forces or a crown servant returning to the UK from a posting abroad?

The School Admissions Code requires that for families of UK armed forces or Crown servants returning from overseas to live in Coventry, admission authorities must allocate a school place in advance of the family arriving in the area, provided their application is accompanied by an official letter declaring a relocation date. Children of UK service personnel and other Crown Servants will be treated as meeting the residency criteria for a catchment area once proof of posting has been provided.

Admissions team - Secondary

Monday to Thursday: 8.30am – 5pm, Friday: 8.30am - 4.30pm

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7697 5445

Coventry City Council

Is there anything wrong with this page?