Worried that someone you know is being harmed or neglected?
People in Positions of Trust (PoT)
Concerns and allegations about a person who works with adults with care and support needs
Under the Care Act 2014 Statutory Guidance, the Coventry Safeguarding Adults Board (CSAB) is required to establish and agree a framework and process for any organisation to respond to allegations against anyone who works, (in either a paid or an unpaid capacity,) with adults with care and support needs.
The Care Act 2014 Statutory Guidance is clear that the local authority, Police and Clinical Commissioning Group and those providing universal care and support services, should have clear policies in line with those from the Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB) for dealing with allegations against people who work, in either a paid or unpaid capacity, with adults with care and support needs. Such policies should make a clear distinction between an allegation, a concern about the quality of care or practice, or a complaint.
The CSAB framework applies to current and historical concerns and allegations about:
- a person who works with adults with care and support needs in a position of trust, whether an employee, volunteer or student (paid or unpaid); and,
- where those concerns or allegations indicate the person in a position of trust poses a risk of harm to adults with care and support needs.
These concerns or allegations could include, for example, that the person in a position of trust has:
- behaved in a way that has harmed or may have harmed an adult or child;
- possibly committed a criminal offence against, or related to, an adult or child;
- behaved towards an adult or child in a way that indicates they may pose a risk of harm to adults with care and support needs.
The CSAB framework does not include complaints or concerns raised about the quality of the care or professional practice provided by the person in a Position of Trust (PoT). Concerns or complaints about quality of care or practice should be dealt with under the relevant agency or individual complaint, competence or representations processes.
The CSAB Adult Position of Trust Framework and Toolkit supports the implementation of the Position of Trust process for Coventry, in accordance with the West Midlands Positions of Trust Framework