Get the best from this site

We would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. For more information, including how to turn cookies off, see more about cookies. Or simply continue below:


COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

This is affecting us all at work and at home. We’re working hard to keep services running and focusing on the most critical. This means some services may be affected. For help, call 08085 834333.

Read our latest update

Registering a death

British Consul and High Commission registration of deaths

There are certain countries where death registrations may be made for British people overseas. The British Consul or High Commission can register the deaths and issue certificates.

During the year following the registration, a copy of the entry is sent to the General Register Office, and certificates are available from there.

If you wish to apply for this form of registration, or would like further information, please contact:

Can we please amend the contact details on the above page to:

Overseas Registration Unit, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, PO Box 6255
Milton Keynes, MK10 1XX

[email protected]

03700 00 22 44 between 12:00 to 16:00 Monday to Friday.

There are certain countries where a death cannot be registered with the British authorities. They include:

  • Ascension Is.
  • Australia
  • Nevis
  • St.Helena
  • South Africa
  • Turks and Cacos Is.
  • Virgin Is (UK)
  • Zimbabwe
  • Bermuda
  • Canada
  • Cayman Is.
  • Christmas Is.
  • Falkland Is.
  • Gibraltar

Register office

Telephone: Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7683 3141

Building opening times: 9.15am–4.30pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays)
Cheylesmore Manor House
Manor House Drive

Is there anything wrong with this page?