Health information for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs

Pages in Health information for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs

  1. Health information for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs
  1. Guidance, links and contacts

Guidance, links and contacts



Promoting awareness around Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and providing information and as much free practical help as possible. Visit the ADDERS website.


The National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service provide information and resources about ADHD. Visit the ADDIS website.

ADD/ADHD Mental Health and School

One of our children and young people in Coventry (thank you Liza!) has also recommended this page, which provides some guidance and support for parents and professionals working together to support youngsters with ADD/ADHD.


Complex Communication Team

Formerly Coventry Autism Support Service (CASS) or CIASS, Complex Communications Team (CCT) is part of Coventry Local Authority's SEND Support Service and is an education service that support pupils in schools. Contact CCT telephone: 024 7678 5555.  For more information visit the SEND Support service page.


Coventry Action for Autism Group is an opportunity for parents/carers to meet other parents/carers to look at issues and problems linked to autism. 

Autism West Midlands

Enabling people with autism and those who love and care for them to lead fulfilling and rewarding lives. Visit the Autism West Midlands website.

The National Autistic Society

A UK charity providing information and support for people with autism (including Aspergers syndrome) and their families. Visit the National Autistic Facebook page.


The British Dyslexia Association

A UK national organisation offering a wide range of information for parents, dyslexic adults and teachers. Visit the British Dyslexia Association.

Dyslexia Action

Details about dyslexia services, associated training, teaching and publication details. Visit the Dyslexia Action website.

North Warwickshire and Coventry Dyslexia Association

Visit the North Warwickshire and Coventry Dyslexia Association.

Speech and Language

Speech and Language Therapy

Visit the Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Partnership Trust Speech and Language Therapy Service website.

Speech and Language (Education)

The Coventry Speech and Language Education Service is now part of Coventry Autism Support Service, known as Communication and Interaction (including autism) Support Service (CIASS).  Contact CIASS telephone: 024 7678 5555. For more information visit the Education page.


ICAN is a children's communication charity helping children develop the speech and language communication skills they need. Visit the ICAN website.


Afasic supports parents and represents children and your people with speech and language and communication needs.

Other useful links


For help and advice at any time for any problem. Visit the Childline website.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) are a comprehensive range of services that provide help and treatment to children and young people experiencing emotional or behavioural difficulties, or mental health problems, disorders and illnesses. These services are available to children and young people up to their 17 birthday. Referral is through professionals such as GPs and educational psychologists. Please contact CAMHS for further information on the services they can offer.

Children's Community Learning Disability Team

Code of Practice for Special Educational Needs

View the Code of Practice for special educational needs and Disability (PDF) Current - From September 2014.


A UK wide charity providing advice, information and support to the parents of all disabled children. Visit the Contact website for further information. E-mail: [email protected]

Disabled Go Website

The "Disabled Go" website provides online access guides for venues across the UK and Ireland, and was set up in partnership with Marks and Spencer.

Disability grants

Do you have a Disability?  Are you a parent or carer of a Disabled child or adult?

If so, use this website to save time finding Disability Grants.

Charities and Trusts provide funding towards the high cost of disability equipment, holidays, housing, days fact anything above and beyond the normal costs of everyday living.

Disability and The Equality Act 2010

The Equalities Act 2010 aims to protect disabled people and prevent disability discrimination.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission have produced Technical Guidance that outlines the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 for schools in relation to the provision of education and access to benefits, facilities or services, both educational and non-educational. 

For further information regarding reasonable adjustments including auxiliary aids and services visit the Equality and Human Rights website.

Contact have also produced a guide to help families obtain aids, equipment and/or adaptations for children. Some items, such as mobility aids or special beds, are expensive and the range available is vast. This guide has information on how to obtain equipment from statutory sources and where to go for further advice. It also has sources of information on equipment for play and leisure, second hand equipment, financial help, VAT relief on equipment, help adapting your home, and useful contacts.

The Dyspraxia Foundation

The Foundation aims to support individuals and families affected by Dyspraxia. Visit The Dyspraxia Foundation website.

Medical needs in school

Statutory Guidance from the Department for Education for children who are unable to attend a mainstream or special school because of their health.

National Children's Bureau

Working with children and for children, especially the most vulnerable, to influence government policy, providing a voice for young people and practitioners, creating solutions on a range of social issues. Visit the National Children's Bureau website at:

My Rights - Your Responsibility - Your child's rights to be included. Printed leaflets are available from the The Council for Disabled Children, hosted by the National Children's Bureau.

New Life

Newlife Foundation is a charitable organisation caring for disabled and terminally ill children. Newlife nurses offer information, support and rights regarding any type of childhood disability, long-term health problems, learning or life-limiting conditions. The charity also specialises in research and has a special equipment grant service.

Occupational Therapy

The Occupational Therapy Service aims to support children and young people in getting the most from their lives and achieving their potential. Visit the OT website here: Children and Young People's Occupational Therapy in Coventry.

SHINE (formerly known as ASBAH)

Spina Bifida Hydrocephalus Information Networking Equality (SHINE) , previously known as Association for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus (ASBAH), is Europe's largest organisation dedicated to supporting individuals and families as they face the challenges arising from spina bifida and hydrocephalus. Visit the SHINE website for further information of advice.  

SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS)

Open Mon - Thurs 9am - 5pm. Fri - 9am - 4.30pm

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7669 4307

Fax: 024 7669 5627


Limbrick Wood Centre
Thomas Naul Croft
Tile Hill

Is there anything wrong with this page?