Education information for children and young people with Special Educational Needs

Education Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment

Most children and young people's needs will be met by the help available through their educational setting (nursery, school, college etc). To find out how your child's educational setting supports pupils with Special Educational Needs look at their website or contact the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at the setting.

However, for a very small number of children & young people who need a lot of extra help at nursery, school or further education - including things like apprenticeships - the Local Authority may decide that an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment is required to find out exactly what extra help is needed.

An EHC needs assessment is a very detailed look at

  • what your child can and cannot do
  • the special help she or he may need in order to learn

After the assessment is completed - which should be within 16 weeks of the initial request - the Local Authority may decide to issue an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This plan is designed to outline a child or young person's special educational needs and what provision needs to be provided by education, health and/or social care to meet these needs. 

The SEND IASS booklet "A Guide to Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment " explains the process in more detail.

Other sources of EHC information

Personal Budgets

You are entitled to request a Personal Budget if your child has an EHC plan or has been assessed as needing a plan. A Personal Budget is an amount of money your Local Authority has identified to meet some of the needs in your child's EHC plan, if you want to be involved in choosing and arranging a part of the provision to meet your child's needs. You (or your representative) will need to agree this with your Local Authority. A Personal Budget can only be used for agreed provision in the EHC plan.

The Special Educational Needs Jungle also provides information on Personal Budgets which you may find useful.


The Department for Education have produced Home to School Travel and Transport Guidance. This guidance will help parents / schools / professionals understand the Local Authorities duty to have regard to the policy when carrying out their duties in relation to home to school travel and transport, and sustainable travel.

Coventry Local Authority's transport policy must be published as part of it's Local Offer

There is a separate document for post-16 transport to education and training.

SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS)

Open Mon - Thurs 9am - 5pm. Fri - 9am - 4.30pm

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7669 4307

Fax: 024 7669 5627


Limbrick Wood Centre
Thomas Naul Croft
Tile Hill

Is there anything wrong with this page?