Education information for children and young people with Special Educational Needs

Independent Support

Since September 2014, the Government has made funding available  - through the "Independent Support" programme, led by the Council for Disabled Children - to provide specialist individual support to parents, carers, children and young people who are involved in an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment. This was either  for new EHCNA requests, or for those children and young people who previously had a "statement of special educational needs". Up until March 2018, Independent Support had been provided by both SENDIASS and Grapevine, a local charitable organisation.

From April 2018, this support will be only available through SEND IASS. 

If you are going through the EHC assessment process, and feel like you're in need of some help and support, you can access a FREE Independent Supporter  to make sure you get the most out of your plan. Independent Supporters will provide parents and young people with time limited help to support the parent or young person during the EHC needs assessment and planning process and can:

  • Help the parent or young person understand the local referral process and local offer
  • Act as a named contact person for the parent or young person throughout the EHC assessment and planning process
  • Liaise across a range of local services with the parent or young person to help gather information required for an EHC plan
  • Provide information to parents and young people on personal budgets
  • help you to get your views across; and
  • ensure you take an active lead role in this process.

Please contact SEND IASS for more details on getting access to an Independent Supporter.

Is there anything wrong with this page?