Education information for children and young people with Special Educational Needs

Guidance, links and contacts

Advisory Centre for Education

General Advice: visit the ACE website.

Association for all speech impaired children (Afasic)

A UK based organisation helping children and young people affected by speech, language an communication impairments, together with helping their families and professionals working with them. Visit the Association for all speech impaired children website.


For help and advice at any time for any problem. Visit the Childline website.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) are a comprehensive range of services that provide help and treatment to children and young people experiencing emotional or behavioural difficulties, or mental health problems, disorders and illnesses. These services are available to children and young people up to their 17 birthday. Referral is through professionals such as GPs and educational psychologists. Contact CAMHS for further information on the services they can offer.

Code of Practice for Special Educational Needs

Contact a Family

A UK wide charity providing advice, information and support to the parents of all disabled children. 
visit the Contact a Family website  for further information. E-mail:[email protected]

Coram Children's Legal Centre

Providing legal information and representation on all issues of the law relating to children and young people. Visit the Coram Children's Legal Centre website.

Disabled Go Website

The Disabled Go website provides online access guides for venues across the UK and Ireland, and was set up in partnership with Marks and Spencer.

Disability grants

Do you have a Disability?  Are you a parent or carer of a Disabled child or adult?

If so, use this website to save time finding Disability Grants.

Charities and Trusts provide funding towards the high cost of disability equipment, holidays, housing, days fact anything above and beyond the normal costs of everyday living.

Disability and The Equality Act 2010

The Equalities Act 2012 aims to protect disabled people and prevent disability discrimination.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission have produced Technical Guidance that outlines the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 for schools in relation to the provision of education and access to benefits, facilities or services, both educational and non-educational. 

For further information regarding reasonable adjustments including auxiliary aids and services visit the Equality and Human Rights website.

Contact a Family have also produced a guide to help families obtain aids, equipment and/or adaptations for children. Some items, such as mobility aids or special beds, are expensive and the range available is vast. This guide has information on how to obtain equipment from statutory sources and where to go for further advice. It also has sources of information on equipment for play and leisure, second hand equipment, financial help, VAT relief on equipment, help adapting your home, and useful contacts.


Helpline for the use by parents, guardians or concerned relatives and friends of bullied children seeking advice and information on bullying.   For further information visit the Kidscape website.

Medical needs in school

Statutory Guidance from the Department for Education for children who are unable to attend a mainstream or special school because of their health.

National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service

visit the National Attention Deficit Disorder website.

National Autistic Society

Helps people in the UK with Autism and Asperger Syndrome to live their lives with as much independence as possible. Visit The National Autistic Society Facebook page.

National Children's Bureau

My Rights - Your Responsibility - Your child's rights to be included. Printed leaflets are available from the The Council for Disabled Children, hosted by the National Children's Bureau.

Special Needs Jungle

Do you need help to convert your child's Statement to an Education Health and Care Plan. Visit the Special Needs Jungle's Transfer Clinic.

Speech and Language

Visit Coventry's Speech and Language Service website.

Download the Guidance on Quality Standards.   This document aims to set guidelines and quality standards for Speech and Language Therapy Services commissioned by Schools/Local Authorities so that Schools/Local Authorities can ensure they have an appropriate, effective and safe service from whichever provider they choose to commission.

Statutory guidance and regulations on exclusion

Download the guidance from the DFE website.


The DfE publish Statutory guidance on home to school travel.


NASEN - Helping Everyone Achieve - Promoting the development of children and young people with Special Educational Needs.

SEN Magazine

SEN Magazine - a glossy full colour magazine issued every two months and packed full of useful and interesting articles and news, covering all issues to do with SEN and disability.

SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS)

Open Mon - Thurs 9am - 5pm. Fri - 9am - 4.30pm

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7669 4307

Fax: 024 7669 5627


Limbrick Wood Centre
Thomas Naul Croft
Tile Hill

Is there anything wrong with this page?