Education information for children and young people with Special Educational Needs

Special Educational Needs (SEN) support

How do education settings give help to children with Special Educational Needs - SEN Support

All children and young people's needs should be met in the first instance by the help available through their education provider (Nursery, school, college). To find out how your child's education provider support pupils with Special Educational Needs, look at the provider's website or contact the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at the setting. All schools are required to publish an "SEN Information report" which outlines provision and policies for supporting pupils with SEN. 

Most children's needs will be met by their education provider, through a range of interventions known as SEN Support. SEN Support should take the form of a four-part cycle - Assess, Plan, Do, Review - known as the "graduated response". The support offered to children and young people should be reviewed on a regular basis (at least three times per year) to ensure it is still appropriate to meet their needs, and is having a positive impact on removing barriers to their learning. 

You may find our booklet Special Educational (SEN) Support in Schools a useful source of information.

The Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 to 25 years is Statutory Guidance for organisations who work with and support children and young people with Special Educational Needs and disabilities Chapters 5 - 7 cover the SEN Support information for Early Years setting, Schools and further education. 

By law, an SEN Code of Practice must be issued and this guidance must not be ignored.  There is also a Special Educational Needs and Disability Guide for Parent/Carers Code of Practice available for you to download.

My Support Plan

Coventry SEND Support services have also developed the "My Support Plan" alongside educational settings and parents/carers. My Support Plan is a document that can be used to clearly identify the
hopes and aspirations, Special Educational Needs (SEN), and provision needed to ensure your child/young person achieves the best possible outcomes in their education setting. It is generally used where there is a need to combine and co-ordinate support from several different professionals or agencies who are supporting child/young person - this could be an educational professional, a health professional or someone from social care/early help.

It may also be used when:

  • A child/young person is transitioning between two settings e.g. from nursery into school; school into college.
  • When a child/young person’s learning needs have not responded to the setting and single agency intervention.
  • The setting is considering requesting an Education Health and Care Needs Assessment (EHCNA) for a child/young person

"Your Guide to...My Support Plan" takes you through what My Support Plan does, and how it differs from an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

Other information sources you may find useful:

  • ACE - information is based on current education law and guidance and covers state funded education for children aged 5-16 years in England only
  • DfE Guidance Mental Health and Behaviour in Schools and Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions
  • IPSEA - trained volunteers give free, legally based independent advice and support in England and Wales to help get the right education for children with SEN/D.
  • Coram Children's Legal Centre provides free legal information, advice and representation to children, young people, their families, carers and professionals, as well as international consultancy on child law and children's rights.
  • The Coventry Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Local Offer brings together information for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities and their families. The SEND Local Offer will cover services available to the public across education, health and social care:
    • Education: such as nurseries, playgroups, schools and colleges and support services like educational psychologists and SEN services
    • Health: children's and adult services including GPs, therapists and hospital services.
    • Social care: such as short break services and children's and adult disability services. 
  • Council for disabled children - The umbrella body for the disabled children's sector bringing together professionals, practitioners and policy-makers.

SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS)

Open Mon - Thurs 9am - 5pm. Fri - 9am - 4.30pm

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 024 7669 4307

Fax: 024 7669 5627


Limbrick Wood Centre
Thomas Naul Croft
Tile Hill

Is there anything wrong with this page?